C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

issues with removing ac belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 05:20 PM
nicecurves79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default issues with removing ac belt

my air conditioning on my 79 does not work and i have been wanting to take the belt off because the unit is making noise. that leaves only one belt, the alternator running the fan. after i took it off i noticed that there was a surge or "after rev" of the engine. after you rev it up and let off the gas the engine does not immediatly slow, instead it revs a little higher before slowing. this is noticeable and slightly disconcerting in traffic. i put the belt back on and this went away. have others who have taken their ac off had this problem? does the fan need 2 belts on it for balance? what are my options? -Thanks
Old 04-23-2004, 05:37 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: issues with removing ac belt (nicecurves79)

A/C car - no compressor and just 1 belt around fan, power steering pump, and alternator.

The engine speeding up is probably due to less "loading" and increased Horsepower from the absence of the compressor. You'll need to re-adjust your carburetor for it to idle properly. :yesnod:
Old 04-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: issues with removing ac belt (nicecurves79)

I didn't have the surge problem, but did get a belt squeal because of very limited pulley contact on the water pump from the alternator belt. I installed a non-adjustable belt between the balancer and water pump which took care of the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To issues with removing ac belt

Quick Reply: issues with removing ac belt