C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DELUXE WHEEL COVERS RPO #P02

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default DELUXE WHEEL COVERS RPO #P02

I bought a set of DELUXE WHEEL COVERS RPO #P02 off of E-Bay a while back, and boy did I get gouged!!!! Although they didn't have any deep scratches the turbine centers were in bad shape.... peeling chrome plating The center caps are in pretty bad shape also. .. needless to say, I don't have a very good track record on e-bay. My question is this, Can these covers be reconditioned? Can the turbine centers be re-chromed, are there center caps available from aftermarket? any help is appreciated.

Bullshark
Old 04-23-2004, 04:10 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DELUXE WHEEL COVERS RPO #P02 (Bullshark)

I'd have to verify with my set at home.......but I believe the turbine & centercap is one piece. :crazy:

Also, if you have them re-chromed, the sides of the fins (in the turbine) are painted flat black. So I'm not sure how to 'correctly' restore them......
Old 04-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default Re: DELUXE WHEEL COVERS RPO #P02 (verskel)

I'd have to verify with my set at home.......but I believe the turbine & centercap is one piece.
Verskel, I aready took one apart, the center cap is one piece that can be further disassembled by drilling rivets, to get to the center flag decal. I have seen those for sale ( ~$70 a set) I haven't seen the chrome centers though. I thought I could mask and paint the black turbine after rechrome (if it can be rechromed???) where appropriate????...........boy this is beginning to sound like alot of work!

Bullshark
Old 04-23-2004, 04:37 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Verskel, I aready took one apart, the center cap is one piece that can be further disassembled by drilling rivets, to get to the center flag decal. I have seen those for sale ( ~$70 a set) I haven't seen the chrome centers though. I thought I could mask and paint the black turbine after rechrome (if it can be rechromed???) where appropriate????...........boy this is beginning to sound like alot of work!

Bullshark
Yikes....guess you'll be the new P02 wheel expert on the forum when you're through ! :eek: ......I didn't know about the rivets. Of course, my set is in decent enough shape as they are. :chevy

Maybe you can 'rough' the sides of the turbine blades up a bit so the chrome won't be slick. Then the surface would have enough 'tooth' for the paint to stick.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:49 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

I also bought a set off ebay. Almost a mint set. New center emblems, the covers were disassembled, cleaned and the black re-done. Chrome is a 9 to 9.5 on a scale of 10. I paid $200 for the set plus shipping from Ontario, Canada (I live in Pennsylvania). All said after buying the correct valve stem extensions I figure I'm in for $275, but they do look great.

[Modified by ettev, 8:00 PM 4/23/2004]
Old 04-23-2004, 08:55 PM
tonyk72
Racer

Default Re: DELUXE WHEEL COVERS RPO #P02 (ettev)

I bought a complete hubcap & 2 turbine's off ebay for $10, decent driver shape. The hubcap is gonna get hung on the wall & the turbines are gonna make some funky lamp shades! :cool:
Old 04-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default Re: DELUXE WHEEL COVERS RPO #P02 (tonyk72)

I bought a complete hubcap & 2 turbine's off ebay for $10, decent driver shape. The hubcap is gonna get hung on the wall & the turbines are gonna make some funky lamp shades! :cool:
Gees.....You guys sure know how to make a guy feel good.......I wonder if my wife would appreciate four lamps with peeling chrome in the living room...... I'll tell her I got a real good deal on these rare funky lamp shades for only 100 bucks. :lolg: :lolg: I could realy use a good ebay purchasing agent.....come to think of it I have some parts out in the garage that could complete your decor. :p: :p:

Bullshark

Get notified of new replies

To DELUXE WHEEL COVERS RPO #P02

Quick Reply: DELUXE WHEEL COVERS RPO #P02