C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Default Power steering question/problem

I've rebuilt the entire front suspension and steering on my 71, and now the steering wheel is slow to return after going around a corner (you need to help it come back to center). The pump is new, the steering valve is new (not rebuilt) and the cylinder was rebuilt all hoses are new as well. I've balanced the steering valve numerous times to no avail. What do I look for?
Old 04-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Power steering question/problem (Duke94)

Just a guess, but it sounds like your front alignment is out. There's nothing in the power steering itself that makes the wheels want to return to center. In fact, if the car is raised off the ground and running, the steering should keep the wheels wherever the steering wheel is pointed...
Old 04-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Default Re: Power steering question/problem (Z-man)

I did have a wheel alignment when I finished the rebuild, but that doesn't mean they did it right. Would it be the caster or camber that is off? The car tracks arrow striaght with no wonder.

[Modified by Duke94, 6:43 PM 4/25/2004]
Old 04-26-2004, 12:43 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you also rebuild the steering box?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Power steering question/problem (R. Bruno)

The center nut in the steering box impacts the play in the steering system as well as the return to center. Too tight and the play is all gone but the car doesn't return to neutral.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:54 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It's possible that the alignment shop didn't set up the car with enough caster. Caster tilts the front wheels forward or aft of the centerline when viewed from the side so that when you turn the wheel in either direction the front of the car actually raises itself. This causes the wheel to return when let go because the weight of the front end pushes back down on the wheels and gives them an assist in returning. Caster also makes the car track straight. If insufficient caster was dialed in then you will have poor returnability. With stock components you can only get a couple of degrees caster but with offset upper control arms, like the ones from VB&P, you can get 4 degrees or possibly a little more depending on the car. I'm getting my 74 aligned this week after converting the front end to a VB&P monoleaf and installing new offset upper control arms and larger front sway bar. I'll post the results next week some time.

[Modified by vettfixr, 7:55 AM 4/26/2004]
Old 04-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Tom Johnson
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your hoses are not rubbing the power steering cyclinder bracket that goes to the frame.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering question/problem

Quick Reply: Power steering question/problem