C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positrac clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:16 PM
BFry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positrac clutch problem

I am getting a clunking sound from the rear of the car when it warms up. Also, when it "clunks" it feels like the rear "breaks loose" for a second. Someone mentioned that it may be a problem with the clutches in the positraction. Any way to verify that and will it do much further damage if I can't get it fixed right away? By the way, it is a '68 four speed.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:35 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Positrac clutch problem (BFry)

Go to your local gm dealer and purchase some positraction additive and put it in your rear . Go to a local parking lot or suitable space and drive the car in a figure 8 pattern for a few minutes to distribute the additive . If there is no improvement then its time to do some maintenance !

geo
Old 04-23-2004, 01:36 PM
carnut114
Racer

Did you try to put new gm gear lube and posi additive? Mine was doing what you are describing until i put the new gm lube in. Now it is totall quiet.
Eric
Old 04-23-2004, 02:41 PM
BFry
Intermediate

Default Re: Positrac clutch problem (carnut114)

I did put in the new lube and the problem is still there. It is not making any other whining noises. I just stopped by my local Chevy dealer and they seemed to think that it might be a transmission problem.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:10 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Don't think it's in the Muncie,otherwise you'd get it all the time.
Check the differential front bushing for wear,cracking,slop. Look at the 1/2 shaft joints for rust and movement.

What makes you think it's a posi problem? I have removed posi clutches that were broken and the unit functioned fine. Did you use hte GM additive or another brand? If you didn't use the GM try that. Posi clutch chatter happens when they are hot and you're turning a corner. You may very well have to open the differential to take a look if everything else looks ok.You have to drop the differential out to open it up.

Gary
Old 04-23-2004, 10:41 PM
BFry
Intermediate

Default Re: Positrac clutch problem (gtr1999)

Thanks for the input. I will check those areas tomorrow. I'm not sure what additive was used, I had a local vette shop do it while they were doing some other work for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Positrac clutch problem

Quick Reply: Positrac clutch problem