C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car?

I think I could use some more amps on my car since adding the electric fan and the MSD box. I am looking for a decent higher amp alternator that I can bolt on. What do yall recommend, and part numbers if you have them?
Old 04-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (Sigforty)

A buddy of mine picked one up from O'Reillys, don't have the #, but I remember it had a lifetime warrenty. I know Summit has 140amp alternaotors? :confused:
Old 04-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (Corey_68)

I think 140 might be too much. I really do not want to rewire the car if I can help it.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:55 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (Sigforty)

I replaced the stock 60amp unit with an O'Reilly's 63amp and am running ~1700watts of stereo amps with no light dimming or other indications of lack of output. You could go with a higher rating, but I think it's probably overkill.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:26 PM
mike229
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Why would you have to rewire the car?

The reason I ask is that I just ordered a 100amp PowerMaster from Summit -is there something I should be wary of?
Old 04-23-2004, 08:43 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (mike229)

There is only one wire you need to replace with a higher amp alternator, and that is the heavy gauge wire coming off the alternator and going to, in my case, the horn relay. This is the spot where all the car's circuits are fed from, and it is also the spot that you should be wiring any additional accessories too, like electric fans, ignition systems, ect...You have to make sure that you use the correct gauge wire to match the alternator's current output, if unsure, consult an electrical code book.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:51 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (7t2vette)

There is only one wire you need to replace with a higher amp alternator, and that is the heavy gauge wire coming off the alternator and going to, in my case, the horn relay. This is the spot where all the car's circuits are fed from, and it is also the spot that you should be wiring any additional accessories too, like electric fans, ignition systems, ect...You have to make sure that you use the correct gauge wire to match the alternator's current output, if unsure, consult an electrical code book.
What he said.

Go to the parts store and tell them you want an alternator for a late Caprice, Police Package. You'll get one as hot as they make.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:00 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (tpiini)

I think that all your higher amp alternators will be serpentine or dual belt driven. A single belt will probably scream. The only reason you would need a higher amp alt would be for the fans. The MSD and even a modest sound system are not that thirsty. Don't be afraid to try your stock alternator with the fans, unless running all the time it will probably keep up. The alternator used in C4's, C5's, and most Cadillacs will probably be your highest output.

I agree with above, pay close attention to where you connect the fans and a higher amp alternator.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:10 PM
red79c3
Racer

140 amp is what you want.

[IMG][/IMG]

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 04-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (red79c3)

I have twin Spals, amplifier etc. on my car. I put two single pulley alts on in recent years. The first a chrome 100 amp 1 wire was ok but never charged well at low rpm until I put a smaller pulley on. It blew a voltage regulator so a different 100 amp went on that was 1 or three wire capable. It is a lot better unit and did not need the smaller pulley. Sorry I do not know the brand names. :banghead:
Old 04-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (LAvetteman)

I believe the fan is sucking most of the power from the car. Some times when I turn the car off hot I have trouble getting it fired back up again. The fan normally comes on and I think it is preventing enough power from getting to the MSD box. I believe my car only has a 40 amps since it did not have any electrical power accessories. I think a nice 100 amp should do. Have most people replaced any wires to use a 100 amp?

As far as wiring I have the fan attached to the alternator right now and the MSD comes off the starter hot lead.

[Modified by Sigforty, 10:58 PM 4/23/2004]
Old 04-24-2004, 01:14 AM
Enad
Racer

You can add wiring rather than replace. I got tired of messing around with it and put a power post on the inner fender wall to make it easier.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:24 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Power Master :thumbs:
Old 04-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Todd Mabry
Instructor

100 amp Powermaster....that's all you'll need :D
Old 04-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (Todd Mabry)

I have been looking at the powermaster units is the 17294 that summit racing sells the one yall are using?
Old 04-26-2004, 06:00 PM
mike229
Pro

Thats what i got - its on my doorstep delivered by UPS an hour ago...
Old 04-27-2004, 02:04 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 140 amp Powermaster from Summit. Works great although I had to rotate the back of the case so it was clocked properly. Powermaster's support said this wouldn't hurt anything

Get notified of new replies

To What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car?

Old 04-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car? (mike229)

Cool! I just ordered mine today.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:05 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I put in the 27294 "polished" It comes with a smaller diameter heavy polished pulley. So I replaced it with my larger diameter lighter pulley.

It cranks out a steady 14.7 volts where my old 85 amp at idle was 12 or less and rose with rpm.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:28 AM
mike229
Pro

Just so you know... It took my intellectual 3 hours to install it last night because the "thick" mounting part, didnt fit in the alternator bracket like the old alt did.

I had to grind down the insides of the mounting bracket, AND the outsides of the alternator part that goes into the bracket. And I still had to hammer it in all the way so it no longer looks as shiny and new as it did when I took it out of the box!!!

It was too late to fire up last night so Ill do that tonight - hopefully it works!!! It still looks way cooler than the old one so as long as it works, Ill be happy! :cheers: -Mike

Quick Reply: What is a good alternator to replace the stock one on my car?