C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Transom Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:52 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default OT: Transom Repair?

I ask your indulgence in an OT ------

My ace mechanic tells me that the transom on my ski boat is rotten and must be repaired. He says that the marine plywood sandwiched between the inboard and outboard panels of fiberglass is very rotten due to a slow hull leak. He says the only repair is to remove the outdrive, slice open the fiberglass, replace the marine plywood, replace the fiberglass, repair fiberglass, paint, reinstall outdrive. Clearly very expensive and beyond my do it yourself capabilities.

Are there any other options? How about epoxy injection?

[Modified by flynhi, 8:53 PM 4/22/2004]
Old 04-22-2004, 10:15 PM
3joh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OT: Transom Repair? (flynhi)

Depending on the extent of the rot and also how soggy the transom is, injection might work. If you plan on keeping the boat, dig out the old and replace the wood.

Take a look at http://www.boatered.com very helpful site. Do a search or start asking questions you will be educated on the topic.

Jeff
Old 04-22-2004, 10:21 PM
mwhuffman
Instructor

I've done a similar repair on a bass boat, but with an outboard engine. Not sure how much trouble it is to remove the outdrive, but at least you don't have to pull the entire engine, and you don't have to worry about the stress caused by hanging a heavy outboard motor on your repair. I had no idea that I could do it until told what a boat shop wanted to repair it. Give it some thought, you may find that you can do it yourself. The plus side is you can glass all the hairline cracks both inside and out, and probably stop the leak that started this problem. :cheers:
Old 04-22-2004, 10:34 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: OT: Transom Repair? (mwhuffman)

The epoxy stuff works from what I understand...

But the marine plywood will end up stronger. Depending on how long you will have the boat around, if this is your "last boat" Have em redo the transom with marine grade plywood, thicken it up, and really over do the fiberglass work.

Wonder if some scupper holes above the deck would stop the water problems? :cheers:
Old 04-23-2004, 09:06 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks very much for your replies......
Old 04-23-2004, 09:22 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OT: Transom Repair? (ZD75blue)

Gotta agree. Do it right (ie, replace the wood) if the boat's a keeper; use epoxy injection if the boat is close to retirement! :yesnod:
Old 04-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Garys '68
Racer

Default Re: OT: Transom Repair? (page62)

Check out offshoreonly.com technical section. Lots of good info there. There's a thread on there right now. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=77079

Get notified of new replies

To OT: Transom Repair?

Quick Reply: OT: Transom Repair?