C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 07:09 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible

I bought a Lemans Blue 68 BB Corvette Convertible from a car dealer/speedshop in Mansfield, Ohio in October 2003. This car was purchased by this dealer in the spring/summer of 2003 (maybe May-June?). They bought the car after seeing it in an Ebay ad where the reserve was not met. The car was advertised by a woman in Cincinnati who was selling it for her Dad. The Dad apparently lived in Kentucky or Tennessee. I believe the car was in process of being restored (by the Dad) and something happened to the Father (I was told that he died) and the car was quickly reassembled and sold by the daughter. I think that whoever was restoring this car was experienced at restoration and may have done other Corvettes (there were bags labeled "68 Vette Conv" with small parts included with the car). I think that a person who was restoring just one car would not label the bags so precisely. The car has a dark blue interior and a new (recent) white top. The serial number is 194678S404205. It is, of course, an early 68 (November 1967). The fuel tank was replaced very recently and I expect the build sheet is with the old tank. The only other clues I can find are a Garden State toll token that I found under the seat (however it has not been there that long) and a sticker that was taped under the radiator with "destination-Dallas" handwritten on it (that all that can be read).

This is kind of a detective story, maybe someone on the forum knows the history of this car or the person who was resoring it. I realize this is a long shot but I thought I would try. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks, Larry
Old 04-23-2004, 11:08 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Default Re: Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible (BBShark)

Well, the "Garden State" is New Jersey. But I didn't know there were turnpike tokens there.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:22 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible (BBShark)

First off, congrats on your find ! :hurray:

Second, mine's an early '68 built around the 29th-30th Nov. 1967 ! :yesnod:

Yours is #4205 and mines #6946. I'm thinking yours was the 1st week in November. ;)

As for the history, you'd have to research the car through the title. Goto the state where the car was last titled then start locating all the owners. My guess is that it was delivered to Dallas, TX then sometime it moved or changed owners to end up in New Jersey......then made it to the Dad in KY or Tenn. .....and finally to Ohio where you bought it.

There should also be more date codes on the diff. & tranny as well. :chevy
Old 04-23-2004, 11:24 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible (verskel)

Whoa, just found out it's on the '68 Registry !!!
http://www.vettefinders.com/68Regist...rds.cfm?id=163

Does the name Larry Kelly ring a bell ?!? :D
Old 04-23-2004, 12:29 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible (verskel)

Whoa, just found out it's on the '68 Registry !!!
http://www.vettefinders.com/68Regist...rds.cfm?id=163

Does the name Larry Kelly ring a bell ?!? :D
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: I have done that myself

I have # 4473, just a couple of days after yours. Mine is International Blue with dark blue interior, white top, L-36 bigblock. I bought mine at Carlisle from a Canadian from Toronto. I knew he bought it from a guy on the west coast of Canada. I found the restorer of the car on this forum - he has a resto shop in Vancouver. So, keep trying! :) Our moderator, GDaina, and/or Paul Borowski may have an idea - both are Ohio (and 68) guys. MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 12:35 PM 4/23/2004]
Old 04-23-2004, 03:40 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible (MNJack)

MJ,
Have you ever contacted GM Canada for your car's build information? Was it originally sold in Canada? Or do you have all that good stuff already? I understand that GM Canada has the build records and other info that we here in the US would all love to have.

Of course if your car was sold in the US there's a good chance that it would be a documented L-88 by now!! :lolg: :lolg:
Old 04-23-2004, 03:47 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible (LemansBlue68)

MJ,
Have you ever contacted GM Canada for your car's build information? Was it originally sold in Canada?
As a matter of fact..... I have a very nice letter from GM of Canada stating that my vin# was not originally made for Canada, so they do not have any records for it. They don't charge for the null report. They do charge a nominal fee for the info if your car was built for sale in Canada. :) MJ
Old 04-23-2004, 08:26 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I have # 4473, just a couple of days after yours. Mine is International Blue with dark blue interior, white top, L-36 bigblock. I bought mine at Carlisle from a Canadian from Toronto. I knew he bought it from a guy on the west coast of Canada. I found the restorer of the car on this forum - he has a resto shop in Vancouver. So, keep trying! :) Our moderator, GDaina, and/or Paul Borowski may have an idea - both are Ohio (and 68) guys. MJ

The place I bought the car from in Mansfield, OH is not co-operating as far as the previous owner (I have asked a dozen times). I was hoping that someone knew the restorer (that died last year). My car looks like someone was really doing it right but then someone just threw it together in order to make it saleable.

I have it torn down to where it was before it was thrown together and I kind of feel like I am picking up where he left off. It's just unfortunate that I don't know who he is (or was).

I have tried Corvette clubs in Kentucky and Tennessee and have not even had a response from them. Sure wish I knew.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:15 AM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

"Our moderator, GDaina, and/or Paul Borowski may have an idea - both are Ohio (and 68) guys"

Any help from the 68 Ohio guy's?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible

Quick Reply: Looking For Help With The History of This 68 Convertible