C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean & lube door lock mech?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 06:41 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default How to clean & lube door lock mech?

After removing my door lock mechanism to change the outer door handle I want to clean and lube it before reinstalling it. It looks like it was it was down next to the oil pan instead of in the door. It is covered with a thick layer of black crud that I am worried will get washed into it and gum it up. What is the best way to clean it? What should it be lubed with afterwards? What kind of lube should be used on the window chanels?
Thanks
Old 04-22-2004, 08:53 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: How to clean & lube door lock mech? (MCMLXIX)

I waited until my wife was away and soaked it in mineral spirits for a few days then cleaned it best I could with a toothbrush. After that I put it in the dishwasher on extra hot scrubber with extra soap. Looks and works great. I lubed it with white grease.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:01 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: How to clean & lube door lock mech? (markdtn)

I waited until my wife was away and soaked it in mineral spirits for a few days then cleaned it best I could with a toothbrush. After that I put it in the dishwasher on extra hot scrubber with extra soap. Looks and works great. I lubed it with white grease.
I used diesel to clean - soaked it for about a week. White lithium grease. Works great.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 AM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: How to clean & lube door lock mech? (mapman)

I cleaned up the outside pretty well with some rags and am tempted to run it though the parts washer or just spray it down with brake cleaner can't decide which or nether. I am concerned about getting the new lube back into all the numerous shafts and pivots afterwords without being able to take it apart. I would rather have the grease that is still in there than none or just some that is dilluted with solvent.
My window now works great after reataching the hardware that was laying in the bottom of the door but the tracks are dry. Is it better to lube up the tracks or leave them alone. Wondering if the grease will atract more dirt and do more harm than good.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:07 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to clean & lube door lock mech? (MCMLXIX)

I cleaned up the outside pretty well with some rags and am tempted to run it though the parts washer or just spray it down with brake cleaner can't decide which or nether. I am concerned about getting the new lube back into all the numerous shafts and pivots afterwords without being able to take it apart. I would rather have the grease that is still in there than none or just some that is dilluted with solvent.
My window now works great after reataching the hardware that was laying in the bottom of the door but the tracks are dry. Is it better to lube up the tracks or leave them alone. Wondering if the grease will atract more dirt and do more harm than good.
Get a can of White Lithium grease, I used this on my door locks and window hardware. Works great. :cheers:
Old 04-23-2004, 10:45 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,488 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: How to clean & lube door lock mech? (stickboy)

For locks you generally want to use lock graphite oil. You can buy it almost anywhere. It comes in a dark blue can. to lube a lock in place, stick the key half way in, and put a few drops on the top of the key, then run it in an out and turn the lock. My '78 was so stiff I thought the key might break. Ran the lock oil, and it turns like barnd new. Don't use WD-40 or the like. It will actually dissolve any oil in the tumblers.
The following users liked this post:
Ditmeion (05-09-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To How to clean & lube door lock mech?

Quick Reply: How to clean & lube door lock mech?