C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched and Scuffed Glass: Is there a fix besides replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 06:02 PM
jaketerk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched and Scuffed Glass: Is there a fix besides replacement?

My 1972 vette has scuffs on the windsheild from the previous owner not cleaning underneath the wiperdoor. The wiper must have been wiping the windsheild with that dirt, and over time, scuffed the windsheild. Is there a way to polish the scuffs out?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:47 PM
442olds
Pro

Default Re: Scratched and Scuffed Glass: Is there a fix besides replacement? (jaketerk)

Check the Eastwood catalog. I believe they have a glass polishing kit or tools. But if the scratchs are really deep it may not work.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:50 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Scratched and Scuffed Glass: Is there a fix besides replacement? (442olds)

I have tried other polishes adn they really do not do a good job -. Where deep scracthes are concerned - forget it. :seeya
Old 04-21-2004, 06:52 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Default Re: Scratched and Scuffed Glass: Is there a fix besides replacement? (jaketerk)

i've seen glass polishing kits in an auto store once but have not seen any lately. I suppose its possible to polish the glass but it might take a LOT of work.

i have the same problem with my side glass being very scratched from the felt being worn out.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:12 PM
RedShark76
Intermediate

I hear that if you can catch it with your fingernail chances are a polishing kit will not take it out. I have seen many kits available through the variuos vette catalogs.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Go-Gone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Scratched and Scuffed Glass: Is there a fix besides replacement? (RedShark76)

I used the Eastwood kit on my 69 with pretty good sucess. I had a bad case of "wiper haze" and the kit removed about 95% of it. It is kind of a messy process as the drill and buffing wheel throw the compound around quite a bit. It does work.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:23 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bon Ami, a damp sponge and elbow grease.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Packy76
Instructor

Default Re: Scratched and Scuffed Glass: Is there a fix besides replacement? (The Dude)

:iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Scratched and Scuffed Glass: Is there a fix besides replacement?

Quick Reply: Scratched and Scuffed Glass: Is there a fix besides replacement?