C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Lifter Cams and Valve Wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Solid Lifter Cams and Valve Wear

Please feel free to share your experiences with valves & seats wearing out after a solid lifter cam was put into a stock engine. A friend of mine is considering the XS262 but is wondering how his stock valves & seats would hold up.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:08 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Solid Lifter Cams and Valve Wear (Boofers)

I ran a Comp 294 solid flat tappet in my big block. The heads were "206" heads that were worked over. The heads still had "soft" valve seats. I ran unleaded 93 octane through it all the time and never had any problems (which proves that hardened seats are overrated in most cases). After 2 years of use, whenever I pulled them off they were still fine. The only thing that should really cause seat damage would be excessive spring pressure. Hardened seats hold up much better to a lot of spring pressure than the "soft" seats. A cam that small (XS262) should be fine. Valve lash caps are a good idea to use. That way if something goes wrong it doesn't damage the tip of the valve.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like he said. The cam per se will not have an effect other than slightly higher lift (and spring pressure) and a different mixture. Seat pressure is the biggie.

Hans
Old 04-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Solid Lifter Cams and Valve Wear (bence13_33)

I keep telling my friend that the 262 is a tiny cam and now you have given me some more ammunition to bug him! Thanks for the input.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Be SURE and get the "offroad use only" Valvoline racing oil for a flat tappet cam. Because most extreme wear suppliments are zinc based they had been steadilly removed from engine oils in the last 5-10 years (the catalytic convertors were plugging up from them.) Valvoline has come out with a new line of racing oils that have a high content of anti-wear additives and cannot qualify as street legal because of this, you need to run this type f oil if you are building a flat tappet engine to prevent lobe failures on your cam.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Solid Lifter Cams and Valve Wear (Solid LT1)

Be SURE and get the "offroad use only" Valvoline racing oil for a flat tappet cam. Because most extreme wear suppliments are zinc based they had been steadilly removed from engine oils in the last 5-10 years (the catalytic convertors were plugging up from them.) Valvoline has come out with a new line of racing oils that have a high content of anti-wear additives and cannot qualify as street legal because of this, you need to run this type f oil if you are building a flat tappet engine to prevent lobe failures on your cam.
Are you just talking break in or normal use. I am running Mobil 1 in my flat tappet cam for over 6000 miles and the lift still measures exactly what is was when new. I agree for break in but once it is broken in a good quality oil will do.

Get notified of new replies

To Solid Lifter Cams and Valve Wear

Quick Reply: Solid Lifter Cams and Valve Wear