C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advance Curve Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:51 AM
theoUK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advance Curve Kits

I'm thinking of buying one of the kits to recurve the distributor on my 80, especially since it has a non-standard cam now and I would be surprised if the stock advance curve is the optimum.
There are loads of different suppliers of these things on the net, and they are all relatively cheap, but has anyone got any specific recommendations/stories/results to share?
Also, all of the kits I've seen so far specify "up to 79" - does this mean there isn't a kit available for my 80, or have I just not found it yet?!
:cheers:
Old 04-21-2004, 12:18 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Default Re: Advance Curve Kits (theoUK)

Curve kits work great, I got one in mine ! :thumbs:

There are two types --> one for HEI & one for Points....
The year does not matter. :yesnod:

**Be sure to disconnect the vacuum for the advance because the re-curve kit will convert your distributor to a mechanical advance if it isn't already.
There's also about 4 to 5 pairs of springs. They should be marked and the lightest springs will have the most advance.

[Modified by verskel, 11:21 AM 4/21/2004]
Old 04-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Petes73
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think in 80s and up the computer controls the spark. When I looked at the holley EFI it said to use a 80-96 distributer for this reason.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:58 PM
theoUK
Pro

Default Re: Advance Curve Kits (Petes73)

Cheers for the info guys.
Pete - you're right about the computer issue, with one exception. In 1980, only the California 305 vettes were equipped with a C-4 computer. Mine's a non-California, and as such still has a mechanical advance system. 1980 was obviously a transition year. Like I said, the vast majority of the kits I've seen are specified up to 1979 compatible, so perhaps the vendors are just missing out those vettes that still used mechanical advance in 1980. Don't know how/when the computer was phased in for the other GM cars...
Anyway, being as mine's still a mechanical dist, I don't think it can hurt to try one of these kits, since they're not exactly expensive.

Verksel, I'm planning to get an adjustable vacuum advance canister too, so I can reset the vacuum to allow for my mech. advance changes without knocking. By the way, you say they work great, but can you go into detail? I'm not expecting an extra 100hp, don't get me wrong :), but I presume you can feel a a bit of a difference in the mid range "liveliness"?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:05 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Verksel, I'm planning to get an adjustable vacuum advance canister too, so I can reset the vacuum to allow for my mech. advance changes without knocking. By the way, you say they work great, but can you go into detail? I'm not expecting an extra 100hp, don't get me wrong :), but I presume you can feel a a bit of a difference in the mid range "liveliness"?
I'd say a modest 10 to 20hp gain is possible. And yes, the mid-range is much improved.......but don't go by horsepower gains alone. The re-curve with the 'proper' springs will improve Throttle Response, shift points, and RPM. Let's just say that 'timing' is everything. :jester
Old 04-21-2004, 06:07 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: Advance Curve Kits (verskel)

I also have a 1980 and would like to adjust mine. Who sells some of these kits you are referring to?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:00 PM
YoNni22
Advanced

Default Re: Advance Curve Kits (SCVetteGuy)

I bought my recurve kit from Lars. Great buy!
Old 04-22-2004, 05:31 AM
theoUK
Pro

Default Re: Advance Curve Kits (SCVetteGuy)

SCvetteguy -
You can find an abundance of these things if you just put "HEI adjustable advance kit" or something similar into Google, then i guess it's just a question of who you want to buy one off (being in the UK, I have no basis for comparison, since I don't really recognise many of the suppliers, even though they're probably popular vendors over there!)

Verksel - yeah, I'm hoping there's some scope for improvement, specially since my engine is an L48 with a warm cam. In the GM manual, the L48 advance doesn't come fully in until around 4500 rpm, so with the kit I'm hoping to achieve a curve more like the L82, with full 28 degrees by around 2500 rpm. Should be an interesting little project! (Very cool looking vette, you have, by the way) :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Advance Curve Kits

Quick Reply: Advance Curve Kits