C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CoolCar Ceramic Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:32 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default CoolCar Ceramic Insulation

Anybody else using it? I ordered it yesterday and hope to get it by Friday. :cheers:

UPDATE - 05-11-04 These guys split up - one is LIZARD SKIN and the other is still Cool Car Ceramic. I ordered from CCC but thought I was getting the item marketed now by LizardSKin. In order to sort through the 'dissagreement', I got a sample of each and will do a test - if you have any suggestions for the test - I appreciate the input. BTW - the samples came in today - will do the test this weekend.

[Modified by kaiserbud, 10:12 PM 5/11/2004]
Old 04-21-2004, 07:52 AM
68raggtop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: CoolCar Ceramic Insulation (kaiserbud)

Sounds :cool: . make sure you post some pics.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:13 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It says "Do not allow product to freeze". WTF?
:confused:
Old 04-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: CoolCar Ceramic Insulation (MassVette)

It says "Do not allow product to freeze". WTF?
Must mean to not allow it to freeze before application, at least I hope that is what it means. :shocked:
Old 04-21-2004, 09:29 AM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Default Re: CoolCar Ceramic Insulation (Fevre)

I asked that question too - it means prior to application :yesnod:
Old 04-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Sounds like neat stuff. Thanks for the heads up! :cheers:
Old 04-21-2004, 10:22 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: CoolCar Ceramic Insulation (Cookwithvette)

I didn't see any prices on their site. How much is it?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:04 AM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Keep us posted on the project
Old 04-22-2004, 04:31 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Default Re: CoolCar Ceramic Insulation (BlueL36)

It is $55/gal - comes in 2 gallon containers. And I bought the spray gun with the large diameter suction/drain tubes. I figured I could sell it to the next CF member that uses the paint.

Anyone know the temps at: the exhaust manifold, the exhaust pipe at the side exhaust area, the firewall, any other pertinent temperature data for a Black C-3 Big Block in Houston, TX in August heat? I guessed 185 at the firewall and floorboard.

FYI - One of the reps from the CoolCar emailed me...."per our conversation, while we have no documentation of test results, I can tell you that in numerous instances, although not as hot as 185 degrees, using Cool car ceramic will indeed, lower cabin temperatures by 15 to 20 degrees. In addition, Cool Car Ceramic will reduce the decibel level but 10 to 12 decibels.

For your Corvette, we suggest coating the car with 40 mils, however probably 60 mils in the firewall and in the wheel wells. The firewall, obviously, because it is the hottest area of the car, and the wheel well because of rock chips damaging the chrome or paint job."

Looking forward to getting the stuff Friday and moving forward with my interior. Wish me luck :smash:

[Modified by kaiserbud, 3:32 PM 4/22/2004]
Old 04-23-2004, 06:18 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Major Bummage - my shipment did not come in today - will have to wait till Monday - ie: NEXT weekend !!!!!! :mad :mad :mad
Old 04-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Pat71vette
Racer

it looks good but its pretty heavy material
Old 04-23-2004, 06:21 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That sucks ....

This is a very interesting topic you have made. I've read all the previous one, and (strangely) I have never heard of anyone here using anything like this.

Keep us posted. :thumbs: :cheers:
Old 04-23-2004, 06:53 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Default Re: CoolCar Ceramic Insulation (NHvette)

Yeah - I am pretty excited too. FYI, I talked with them today and they said that they prefer that you spray it on to get a uniform coat that will evenly spread the glass beads that are in the paint. Remember these ceramic beads have air pockets in the center, so when you stir to get them 'suspended', you need to be careful as to not break the beads. Even though they are small, they only withstand 3000 psi, so if you stir with a mechanical device, care needs to be taken.

I am torn bewteen spraying ad brushing. I see the benefits of spray, but the negs are overspray, clean-=up and taping - as well as removing wiring harness and literally everything. The other side is that with a brush, I can get behind all items without removal. Downside to that is possibly the beads 'sagging' within the poaint and getting less uiformity in coat thickness. BTW - thats 15-20 mils per coat and 3 coats.

One last item, they said that in their test comparison on spray vs. brush, that there was minimal difference in heat protection. He said his tests were in the 300 degree level and it 'MAYBE' gave a 8-10% difference in its protective ability. Say it reduces temps by 30degrees - well that only equates to 3 degrees.

[Modified by kaiserbud, 5:58 PM 4/23/2004]
Old 04-23-2004, 07:30 PM
fjetb
Racer

Good topic. Please keep us informed..
I like the idea of brushing it, despite the 10% drop...I wonder if you 'crossed' your brush strokes with each coat, if it would make a difference...by that I mean, first coat is stroked front to rear of the car...next coat is brushed side to side of the car...third coat is brushed front to rear again, or even diagonally...would that make any difference? :confused:
[IMG]/http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/586000-586999/586584_1.jpg[IMG]

[Modified by fjetb, 12:31 AM 4/24/2004]

[Modified by fjetb, 12:32 AM 4/24/2004]
Old 05-04-2004, 06:58 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Default Re: CoolCar Ceramic Insulation (fjetb)

Ahhh - I hit a snag....... :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

I have moved forward on my total interior removal.... Man ! I 'thought' I had 'everything' out. Now I have made the final removals - gearshift, Emergency Brake Assmbly, Gas Pedal Assbly, Carpet, Seats and column and supports. It is all down to the brake pedal and a fuse box that remains.

Anyway - HEAR THIS. I kinda hit a snag on my insulation paint material. The product I thought I was getting is actually different There appears to be another company that has a similiar product that may/may not be better. :crazy:

I will test them both before I invest in all the labor to restore my interior. The one company gave me a free sample, the other would not. Since it comes in 2 gal jugs, I was not willing to eat that, so although I am paying for it - they are sending me a 1Qt sample but still charging me.

The one manufacturer made a comment that basically you simply try one product and if it doesn't work - you go with another next time. I do not think so - this is not a tire change or carwax. :mad :mad :mad This is the basis for my total interior rebuild. Actually guys - its potentially good research for you guys too if you decide to do the same thing I am doing. WIll keepo you posted. :lurk:
Old 05-05-2004, 06:58 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

I was just wonderin' if you could get the same kinda insulating results using micro balloons suspended in resin? They're used in fiberglass boat manufacture and repair. Anyone ever tried it?
After all, insulation is basically just 'dead air'.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:16 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Got my CoolCar sample in today - unfortunately, the CCC came in white rather than the black I ordered - they said it will not matter, but I do think the color will matter. I will save my personal comments till after the test results. I await the LizardSkin sample - got it from a distributor rather than the main manufacturer. This distributor seems really interested in assisting me.

[Modified by kaiserbud, 10:19 PM 5/11/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To CoolCar Ceramic Insulation

Old 05-12-2004, 01:23 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Could you make some preliminary list of the 3 products and their claims? How is this paint supposed to compare with undercoating and that thick padding stuff that sticks to the body?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM
funathleticboy77
5th Gear

So im looking to put under my rug on floors in c5, but still want to know which works best for sound control and heat control. Seems insulation in a mat material would work best but be bulky underneath. I rather pain it with lizard skin or coolcarcermaics. Anyone have opinions yet?
Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm starting to assemble my 72 and the first thing is the Insulation in the cabin.
I'm going to put under the carpet two materials: heat & sound barriers.
Heat: floor & inside fire wall a Ceramic sack material it can stand 1200*/C = 2200*/F.
Sound: above it a sound barrier from Wurth (German company) part# 890100065.

Avner

Quick Reply: CoolCar Ceramic Insulation