C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'77 Alarm Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default '77 Alarm Question

When we got our car, it didn't have a door key. And since I'm now in my 5th week of it being my daily driver, I want to be able to lock the car. I took the drivers side cylinder to a lock smith and had a set of keys made.

And now my concern centers around the cars alarm. It's hooked up except for the hood switch. I'd like to go ahead and hook that up, but I'm not sure how to test the alarm to see if it's working. Here's what I do know so far:

1) The relay works. I can hear it clicking when I lock and unlock the door.
2) The alarm horn works. When I took the switch off the lock cylinder to get keys made, it set the alarm off. I had to unplug the horn to keep it quiet.

So now that I've got it all together, how do I test the thing to ensure it's working properly? Does it tie into the door jamb switches on both doors?

Cheers!
W
Old 04-20-2004, 12:56 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '77 Alarm Question (Wendell Allen)

Test with alarm turned-on. To test hood warning, close both doors with the driver's side window down and reach in to unlatch the hood. The horn should go off.

Yes, the alarm on a '77 should also sound if a door is open. Test is easy. Turn the alarm on with your key and open either unlocked door. I don't remember if '77s had an available T-top alarm - mine does not.

Old electrics can lead to the alarm going off when no switch has been opened. Even if the horn is broken, a relay still cycles and can drain your battery. The 1977 alarm is not very effective at preventing theft or vandalism. If your building to NCRS or, like me, just like it when things work they way their meant to, get it in working order.

Let us know how it turns out.

:auto:
Lowcountry Corvette
www.LowVette.com
Old 04-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: '77 Alarm Question (lowvette)

Thanks. I'm not sure what's up, but with everything together, it's not working. I think it's almost there though, so I'll just play with it for a while.

Get notified of new replies

To '77 Alarm Question

Quick Reply: '77 Alarm Question