C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 alarm switch, can it be re-keyed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:55 AM
76greg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 76 alarm switch, can it be re-keyed?

I have two 76 Corvettes. Both have the alarm switch on the left front fender. I believe the oval door key is supposed to work in the alarm switch. Neither of my oval door key will work. I have the lock switches out and have soaked them in penatraiting oil but they still will not work. Can a locksmith re-key these to fit my existing keys? I can get new lock switches with keys for about $27. Just trying to make things right!

Thanks! Greg :)
Old 04-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: 76 alarm switch, can it be re-keyed? (76greg)

On my 73 the alarm is keyed diff than the doors, my alarm switch is on the back.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:36 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: 76 alarm switch, can it be re-keyed? (Fevre)

Yes a locksmith will rekey, save some money and remove the switch and take it in..... Kind of hard to get at. Maybe it could be done with the switch in the fender but don't know for sure. I had the storage box lock rekeyed to match the door key. It was an oddball....
Old 04-19-2004, 04:20 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,450 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: 76 alarm switch, can it be re-keyed? (KenSny)

Most any lock can be re-pinned. My spare tire lock had a different key, and I wanted to be pinned to match the door locks and glove box. the Corvette houses wanted $50.00 to repin it. I took it to a local locksmith and he repinned it and cut me two sets of orgianl GM keys for $20. don't ever buy the "original" GM keys advertised. According to my locksmith those have always been available from GM with official logos. He charged my $3 for both keys. I have seen these sold for $10+ The catch is that you will have to get the lock out first.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:52 AM
76greg
Racer

Default Re: 76 alarm switch, can it be re-keyed? (gliot1)

I have both locks out! :D I will take them in and see what they can do.
Is the door lock key, the oval one the correct key to use in the alarm switch or was there a seperate key for the alarm?

Thanks! Greg :D
Old 04-20-2004, 01:05 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: 76 alarm switch, can it be re-keyed? (76greg)

It's my understanding that the door key was for the alarm and the storage comparment also. That's the way I had mine keyed. I do have a seperate key for the spare tire lock but I'm not sure if that was original or not when I got the car.

Should be pretty cheap to get done. I have had lots of locks rekeyed when I worked in a machine shop. Guys that got fired would always "loose" the tool box keys as payback.....

Get notified of new replies

To 76 alarm switch, can it be re-keyed?

Quick Reply: 76 alarm switch, can it be re-keyed?