C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car?

Old 04-19-2004, 11:40 AM
72Shark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car?

OK, my latest anti-theft device, my car will not turn over with the tilt steering wheel "up". When I put it "down", she cranks. What is going on??
Old 04-19-2004, 11:53 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car? (72Shark)

sounds like a problem in the ignition switch?
Old 04-19-2004, 12:43 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car? (Jeff 6T9)

Sounds like the electrical switch down low on the column is mis-adjusted or loose. Other than that, look at Jim Shea's papers on the tilt column for more info.

[Modified by markdtn, 11:55 AM 4/19/2004]
Old 04-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car? (markdtn)

Run this quick check. Disconnect your battery. Remove the plastic panel from below your steering column. There is a rod extending down from the steering column head to the ignition switch. Tilt your column all the way DOWN. Rotate your ignition key to START. The rod should move up into your column head and pull the ignition switch into START. Now tilt the column to the MIDDLE and then all the way UP. Rotate your key to START. Does the rod move?

If the rod does not move in any position except full DOWN, I suspect the following:

There is a small die cast rack inside your steering column head. When you put your key in the lock cylinder and rotate to start, there is a small nylon gear that meshes with the rack. The rack moves and pulls on a rod that is connected to your ignition switch down under the dash. The ignition switch rod has a brass piece that engages a fan shaped section of the rack.

The fan shaped section is what allows you to tilt your column, yet remain engaged to the ignition switch rod and be able to actuate your ignition switch regardless of tilt position. My guess is that your die cast rack may be broken. There may be just a section of the fan that remains engaged only in the full DOWN position. That is why you may only be able to pull on the ignition switch in the tilt DOWN position only.

The rack is available from several Corvette suppliers. The bad news is that you will have to disassemble the steering column head to get at it. For the most part, it will be easier to work on the column if you first remove it from the car.

You can go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look in the Steering section. Download my Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Papers #1, #2, & #3 as well as T&T Column 69-82 D&R Pics #1, #2, & #3. They go into great detail on repairing your column. There are also blowup drawings as well as steering wheel and horn parts scans at that sight.

If you find that the rod is moving with the column tilted UP as well as DOWN. Then the column action seems normal and there is the possiblilty that the switch might need adjusting.

Good luck,

Old 04-19-2004, 09:48 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car? (Jim Shea)

Jim you are awesome!

thanks for the forum support
Old 04-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car? (Jim Shea)

Run this quick check. Disconnect your battery. Remove the plastic panel from below your steering column. There is a rod extending down from the steering column head to the ignition switch. Tilt your column all the way DOWN. Rotate your ignition key to START. The rod should move up into your column head and pull the ignition switch into START. Now tilt the column to the MIDDLE and then all the way UP. Rotate your key to START. Does the rod move?

If the rod does not move in any position except full DOWN, I suspect the following:

There is a small die cast rack inside your steering column head. When you put your key in the lock cylinder and rotate to start, there is a small nylon gear that meshes with the rack. The rack moves and pulls on a rod that is connected to your ignition switch down under the dash. The ignition switch rod has a brass piece that engages a fan shaped section of the rack.

The fan shaped section is what allows you to tilt your column, yet remain engaged to the ignition switch rod and be able to actuate your ignition switch regardless of tilt position. My guess is that your die cast rack may be broken. There may be just a section of the fan that remains engaged only in the full DOWN position. That is why you may only be able to pull on the ignition switch in the tilt DOWN position only.

The rack is available from several Corvette suppliers. The bad news is that you will have to disassemble the steering column head to get at it. For the most part, it will be easier to work on the column if you first remove it from the car.

You can go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look in the Steering section. Download my Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Papers #1, #2, & #3 as well as T&T Column 69-82 D&R Pics #1, #2, & #3. They go into great detail on repairing your column. There are also blowup drawings as well as steering wheel and horn parts scans at that sight.

If you find that the rod is moving with the column tilted UP as well as DOWN. Then the column action seems normal and there is the possiblilty that the switch might need adjusting.

Good luck,
Is there any possibility that it could be a short????
Old 04-20-2004, 11:46 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,443 Likes on 753 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Re: Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car? (72Shark)

I would guess something is grounding when the column is moved.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car? (gliot1)

You mean an electrical short inside the ignition switch? There are no ignition or starter related wires up inside the steering column. Since there should be no motion of the ignition switch rod when you tilt the column head up and down, I don't see where a short in the switch would be affected by the tilt position.

Get notified of new replies

To Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why must my tilt/tele be "down" to start car?