C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:20 AM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car

The only plug that I see to use is in front of the head. I don't know what to use to get it out. I tried a 1/2 breaker bar (too small). This is an awfully large plug for such a small thermostat. I know there are reducing washers that would work but even then how do I get this thing out. There is a smaller plug which looks like it would work perfectly, but it is positioned under the water neck on the intake manifold and the instructions strongly recommend installation in the heads.
I have done all the work on the vette myself and feel really stupid getting hung up on what most of you guys will probably consider to be an easy fix.
I need some HELP
Old 04-19-2004, 11:02 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car (71stingraybigblock)

Are you 100% positive that there are no holes on the sides of the heads?
I know that the factory position for the temp sending unit on the drives side head is locted between #3 and #5. Even if you have some aftermarket heads I would think that they still have holes on the sides but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:59 AM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

Default Re: Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car (James)

There is some type of sensor in the same position on the passengers side, but that is all I can see.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Rbbmoose427
Advanced

Default Re: Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car (71stingraybigblock)

On my 68 - 427/390 I put it in the passenger side head - There was a plug that was in the same location as the temperature sender on the drivers side. Just above the dip stick as I recall - I had to use a socket with hex to get it out.

Ray
Old 04-19-2004, 12:12 PM
71stingraybigblock
Racer

Default Re: Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car (Rbbmoose427)

Rbbmoose427,
I would do the same thing, but on my vette there is already some type of sensor there. It has two wires going to it and I have no idea what it is for.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory sensor is on the driver side of the head (after market edelbrock) , i put sensor for the fans on the pass side.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:31 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car (Todbo)

Following up on this, is there a similar spot on a small block? I see the temp sensor between the #1 and #3(?) plug on the drivers side, but can't see similar one on the passsenger side due to A/C. Anyone, know of a location with stock L-82 '76 heads?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:55 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car (R. Bruno)

Stock GM, and most others, are interchangable from left to right. Therefore the "front" of the head becomes the "rear" of the head on the other side.

Picture this:

.........+
x..x..x..x...passenger side

x..x..x..x...driver's side
..+

with the "+" as the temp sender hole in the head. If it has something else in it, see what it is connected to.

BTW: the stock heads are 333882 for '76 and they ARE identical.

[Modified by KenSny, 12:59 PM 4/20/2004]
Old 04-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car (KenSny)

why not put it in the thermostat housing?? Therés losts of housings with 1 or 2 ports or bosses. I used one with 2 bosses and drilled them myself and tapped for a fiat (yeah i know...but it was readily available and it's reliable) temp switch, it worked like a champ.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:04 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car (KenSny)

[QUOTE]Stock GM, and most others, are interchangable from left to right. Therefore the "front" of the head becomes the "rear" of the head on the other side.

Wow- this is helpful. I was looking at the front of the passenger side and thinking about having to pull the AC off to get at it. I will take a look at the back and see how accessable that is.

I would try the thermostat housing, but although it has a couple of ports that might work, it already has a series of tubes coming from it that must be smog stuff. My '76 is in California so you KNOW I can't disconnect those lines. :mad

Get notified of new replies

To Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car

Quick Reply: Still having trouble with thermostat placement for spal fans on 454 car