C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust questions on a 1980 L-48 corvette.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:42 AM
tonylasser
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions on a 1980 L-48 corvette.

Hi there Im going to start doing some work on my exhaust system on my 80 L-48 corvette and I got 3 questions.

1. What kind of headers do I need? I was going to buy just plain Headman headers but a friend pointed out to me that I may need a set of headers with polution controls on it or headers with A.I.R (Air Injection Reactor System) Which ones do I need to pass emississions tests and still get increased power

2. I was looking to put 2 Dynomax super turbo mufflers on my vette. Has anyone heared of this muffler and is it any good? can anyone refer me to a good muffler that is good and makes a good agressive sound.

3. What is the compression ratio in my stock engine supposed to be?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:19 AM
IRON WILL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust questions on a 1980 L-48 corvette. (tonylasser)

I am not sure how strict your emissions laws are where you live but you may need to have th AIR tubes welded on the headers. You may also have to save the cat. The easiest way if you are looking to keep it 100% leagal is to check out some corvette catalogs they usually have complete exhaust systems. I forget who has it but one company has true duals in either aluminized or stainless steel. The system bolts to your stock manifolds. If you are going to put headers on you will need some custom work done. If you are usuing the stock system there are several choices for mufflers. Again check the catalogs for some options. Dynomax mufflers do have a nice sounds there just not my cup of tea. I know alot of mustang guys that run them. I personally prefer Borla or Flowmaster. The borla mufflers sound more like a glass pack and flowmaster is basically a tin can with some deflectors in it.

If it is a stock L-48 with a 350, your compression will be about 8.2:1 - 8.5:1. I have seen it listed as both. You can up that compression to closer to 9:1 with the use of a steel shim gasket instead of the stock type. Thats what I use on my engine. You have dished pistons in L-48 , the L-82 had flat tops. That is if it is all stock.

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions on a 1980 L-48 corvette.