C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to put a 454 in a '79 and keep the stock hood?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 04:22 AM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it possible to put a 454 in a '79 and keep the stock hood?

I'm strongly considering going 454ci when the time comes for a new motor, and that time is coming. I know all the mechanical upgrades that must be made when going from SB to BB to accommodate such a motor. I'd like to know if it's possible to keep my stock '79 hood? Is there a way to fit that motor, a good intake, appropriate performance carb and adequate air filter all under the stock '79 small block hood so I can keep the car's stock appearance and not have to go to the added expense of buying and painting a new hood? I know I can get a BB or L88 hood that came on the early C3s, but I'd prefer to keep the car looking stock, the way it does now. It's my personal taste and I don't want anyone to suspect what lurks beneath until it's too late. Has anyone done it?

[Modified by Corvette_fetish, 12:38 PM 4/19/2004]
Old 04-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible to put a 454 in a '79 and keep the stock hood? (Corvette_fetish)

I don't see any problems given a stock intake in place. The car beside my 1967 is a 1981 convertible conversion with a 454 installed.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Is it possible to put a 454 in a '79 and keep the stock hood? (Corvette_fetish)

Easily done, though intakes are limited. The L-88 hi rise hood is only 7/8" higher than the 73-79 med. rise hood & allows a taller intake for BB.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

YEA! :party: COOL! :thumbs: At least it's in the realm of possibility. Now it's going to be a case of finding the best performing intake manifold that will fit. Any suggestions?

I currently have an L98 350 w/ an Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holley 750 double pumper, and K&N air filter on top. Right now the clearance is so close a standard wing nut will make contact with the hood. Are there any other type of shorter performance air filter, or different style of air intake beyond the standard traditional type I have now that I could use? I believe the stock setup ran from the top of the fan shroud back to the air filter chamber on a '79.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

You could always buy a flat top lid for the filter. I bought a Mr. Gasket Lowrider air cleaner and just used the lid. It's completely flat and has a recessed area where the wing nut goes. The wing nut is no taller than the top of the lid. You can probably find the air cleaner on the internet if you do a search. Also, you can order it from any parts store.
http://www.mrgasket.com

The closest I could find to what I bought (4 years ago) is part number 4340. I only used the lid, not the base or the filter. I also tossed their nut and just used a standard wingnut.

[Modified by Captain Morgan, 1:56 PM 4/19/2004]
Old 04-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is it possible to put a 454 in a '79 and keep the stock hood? (Ganey)

Looking at pics of the '73 & '74 big block cars, their hoods do not appear to be any taller than my '79 hood. Is this actually the case? The vent at the top edge of the '73 & '74 hoods was the only difference I could see. There didn't appear to be any difference in height.
1974:

1979:

Am I right?

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible to put a 454 in a '79 and keep the stock hood?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to put a 454 in a '79 and keep the stock hood?