C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:04 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition issues?

Hey everyone,

I had the 73 out the other day, and it was running just fine until an aquaintance of mine pulled along side in his chevelle and told me to give it what its got, so I threw it don into 2nd and punched the gas and it immediately fell on it's face and backfired through the intake, put it back into 4th and it acted like nothing happened. So I continued on my way and tried jumping on it again later and it fell on it's face at about 3500rpm and again backfired throught the intake. I've had it do this before when I lost my advance limiting bushing and the timing over advanced, but I checked over the distributor when I got back and it was still in place. I did however notice that the cover on my unilite module was loose (the part that holds the eye) My friend was borowing my timing light so I couldn't varify my initial advance but I didn't change it since last year. So I scribed a mark on the distributor and retarded the timing a bit to see if it made any difference. I took it out for a few passes and it would sometimes do ok to 5k and other times it would act like before and simply fall on its face and once it almost acted like I knocked it off of a rev limiter. The hyfire IVc is disconnected, even though it is still in my sig. so it's not a possibility. My thoughts are it's either a bad module or the vibrations of the loose cover on it are throwing it off, or my igntion coil is weak and it's starting to show at higher rpms. Any thoughts?

:cheers:
Pat Kunz

Quick Reply: Ignition issues?