C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing the Underbody

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 09:04 PM
MRKearney
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Detailing the Underbody

I've got my body lifted from the frame. Cleaned it of all grease. Any tips on painting the engine area, floor pans and area above the gas tank. How much sanding needs to be done? I'll sandblast the floor pans? Any suggestions on paint type? Anyone painted the inside fender wells? What about areas where the sealant has flaked? Probably too many questions, Huh!
Old 04-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Detailing the Underbody (MRKearney)

How nice do you want it some people have the under side as nice as the top
Old 04-18-2004, 10:10 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I've got my body lifted from the frame. Cleaned it of all grease. Any tips on painting the engine area, floor pans and area above the gas tank. How much sanding needs to be done? I'll sandblast the floor pans? Any suggestions on paint type? Anyone painted the inside fender wells? What about areas where the sealant has flaked? Probably too many questions, Huh!
Some of your questions depends on how you are going to use the car. If you desire an original appearance, then the NCRS Technical Information and Judging Manual would be nice to have. It details what the original colors/finishes/over spray/ etc were like.

If you just want it to look nice, then I would go to some auto shows and look for ideas.

Be careful, this can become an obsession, I know. Remember, one of these days you will cover that frame up, and no one except you (and your camera) will know how nice it looks. :)
Old 04-18-2004, 10:45 PM
David68
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Detailing the Underbody (mapman)

Be careful, this can become an obsession, I know. Remember, one of these days you will cover that frame up, and no one except you (and your camera) will know how nice it looks. :) [/QUOTE]

:iagree:

[Modified by David68, 9:46 PM 4/18/2004]
Old 04-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Detailing the Underbody (David68)

I used some nasty alkalic cleaner to remove all the grime from the underside, then went over it again to remove every last trace of dirt, then I cleaned it off with some IPA and painted it with POR15 and another layer off PPG Deltron black. Spraying the por is nasty, really nasty (not recommended) but I built my own fresh air system from a 3M face mask that normally accepts filter canisters, I hooked long hoses to it and I did the work outside on a hot summer day when the wind was down.

Here's the result:

Old 04-19-2004, 11:30 AM
GATOR454
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a little obsession:

Frame and metal components - Por-15 (semi-gloss) then top coated with Rustoleum satin. Engine compartment and underside of all fiberglass except floor pans - Satin Enamel. Fiberglass floor pans - Ace Industrial Aluminum paint (to help reflect heat).
Old 04-19-2004, 11:44 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

POR-15 comes in different colors. POR's only weakness is UV rays/direct sun exposure. Being that these surfaces will not be exposed to direct sun, I would just go with a color I liked and go with a single coat. Remember, bright colors will show dirt/oil. I would stick with black gloss. Gloss is more durable and easier to hose off in the future. POR also prefers going on over rusty or preped bare metal. If you plan on painting over pianted surfaces you may want to go with Eastwoods Under-carrage epoxy paint. Works great and goes on well over sanded painted surfaces. My 2 cents worth.

Get notified of new replies

To Detailing the Underbody

Quick Reply: Detailing the Underbody