C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes need to jiggle the gear shifter before it starts, why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:31 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sometimes need to jiggle the gear shifter before it starts, why?

This has occured ever since I had the car (a year and a half) - sometimes when I try to start the car it will not immediately turn over at all. The dash idiot lights go on so I can tell the electricity is going through but just...nothing.
To get it to start I simply jiggle the park gear (automatic/700R4) or shift it out of park and back into it and then turn the key and it starts with no problem at all. It's never failed to start, but like I said sometimes I have to do the gear shift jiggle. Strange.
So is this some sign of pending doom? Sign the starter or battery is near death? Or (my guess) some sort of loose connection between the transmission and starter signals? What do I need to do to correct?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Green76
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Sometimes need to jiggle the gear shifter before it starts, why? (SpyderD)

SpyderD,

Check your neutral safety switch, I believe it is located on your shifter in the console it might just be out of adjustment a little bit.

Ulf
Old 04-18-2004, 10:21 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Sometimes need to jiggle the gear shifter before it starts, why? (Green76)

Diffidently sounds like the safety switch. It is located on the side of the shifter. Remove the trim plate to get to it.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:43 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Sometimes need to jiggle the gear shifter before it starts, why? (redwingvette)

:iagree:
Old 04-19-2004, 01:20 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sometimes need to jiggle the gear shifter before it starts, why? (Green76)

Well, lots of guys go through that - I'm told its normal with age. :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Sometimes need to jiggle the gear shifter before it starts, why?

Quick Reply: Sometimes need to jiggle the gear shifter before it starts, why?