C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alernator and Brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 06:20 PM
gmcclurg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alernator and Brake questions

Went for a great ride today, but ended up with two questions. The battery was dead this morning so I put it on the charger fro afew hours. the car started right up. While riding I noticed that the "volt" meter was reading right at or just below 13. I don't remember if this iis normal, but it seems low to me. I thought car alternators were set at 14.7, any thoughts? Second problem. For the fist 1/2 hour around town the brakes were fine, then when I but on the brakes the car car pulled sharply to the left. It is like the right front caliper is not doing anything. Could this just be air in the line or should I think about rebuilding or replacing the caliber
The car is a 77 automatic
Thanks for any help
Gil
Old 04-18-2004, 06:32 PM
WarBound
Intermediate

Default Re: Alernator and Brake questions (gmcclurg)

I'm new at this stuff...although I'm 41 years old:( Anyway, my needle did that on my alternator...it was intermittent. It ended up being the console bulb...it was missing. This bulb excites the alternator so it starts putting out juice after being started. Hope this helps you if that's it. Does your alternator bulb light up on the dash when you turn the key?

Your brake problem sounds like a front caliper hanging up. I just replaced 3 out of 4 of mine after 4 weeks ownership. The 4th one looked recently replaced so I left it. My car pulled to the extreme right. Oh yeah, I put on a master cylinder too while I was at it.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2004, 09:21 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Alernator and Brake questions (gmcclurg)

On the brakes- if it is "just" air in the line you still have to be concerned about how it got there. I would start by crawling under and taking a look at the inside of the tire. You may see brake fluid sprayed around. If not, pull each wheel and take a hard look at the calipers. You may even have to unbolt them (not the lines) but you will be able to get a better look this way. If you find a leak, think about doing the WHOLE job (all 4 calipers and the easier to get to lines). It sounds like your car has been sitting a while? If so, this is when leaks may develop.

I would check the alternator also. You can unbolt it and bring to autozone or similar place and have it checked.

Get notified of new replies

To Alernator and Brake questions

Quick Reply: Alernator and Brake questions