C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rally wheel question ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 03:29 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rally wheel question ?

I have the chance to buy a set of rally wheels that are said to be from a 1973 Corvette. Can one of the forum experts please tell me what numbers should be stamped on the rims to insure they are the correct ones. Any help will be greatly appreciated !!
Old 04-18-2004, 05:32 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Rally wheel question ? (robertmc48)

On the front, around the stem.

For example: xx3x (tire stem) xx AZ

3=73
AZ=Corvette Ralley Wheel (1969-1982)

Since you don't seem to be concerned with the date (other than the year) why not use any AZ wheel? They all look alike.

[Modified by KenSny, 5:37 PM 4/18/2004]
Old 04-18-2004, 06:08 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Rally wheel question ? (KenSny)

Hi Ken and thanks for the kind and usefull information. My car is 100% stock except for the wheels. If I am going to make the investment I'd like to get the right ones. I know NCRS is not highly thought of here but I like Corvettes to be stock. It's just a matter of taste. I come to the forum many times a day and I am always amazed at how kind and knowledgeable the posters are...even to know nothings like me. I come here to learn about the wonderful cats and every day I do !!!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 06:22 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Rally wheel question ? (robertmc48)

The tough part will be to find wheels that will predate your car by the accepted rule. You'd need to see the NCRS guide for that.

But I can tell you the rest of the date code:

Between the year digit and the stem will be a single digit that is the month.

To the right of the stem, before the AZ is the day of the month.

To me it's not whether I hold the NCRS in high esteem or not. Knowing the codes for various pieces is useful knowledge if you have a Corvette. Sometimes you run across parts for cheap that if you know the codes are worth more than the seller is asking. You can turn a nice dime or two to help offset all the money the wife sees you spending for "nice and better" stuff from the catalogs....

(Modified to correct typo......)

[Modified by KenSny, 8:08 AM 4/19/2004]
Old 04-18-2004, 06:43 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Rally wheel question ? (KenSny)

Thanks a lot Ken...I am writing all this down. I find all this number stuff rather confusing..........to tell you the the truth. My car is a 1973 ....31 years old now. To be honest with you I doubt there are too many "number matching" parts left on it. It gives me something to think about and things to look for. Kind of like collecting coins with a certain date ! Know what I mean ?? What good is a hobby if it doesn't take up all your time and bankrupt at the same time ????

Get notified of new replies

To Rally wheel question ?

Quick Reply: Rally wheel question ?