C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Steering column re-install...to short....!!??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 12:41 PM
TR69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!! Steering column re-install...to short....!!??

Just got the steering column rebuilt by columns galore..looks great? Only one problem..as I am re-installing it..the rod seems too short to go in to the rag joint...did some checking..looks like the rod can be "pulled out" of the column some. I do NOT want to screw this, I am looking thru the tons of paperwork I downloaded from this column but maybe someone online has the answer..How do I get the rod loose to pull out to engage the rag joint...Hope the answer comes soon..too hot outside and beer is too cold....
Old 04-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: HELP!! Steering column re-install...to short....!!?? (TR69)

The steering column shaft should stick out of the steering column lower bearing by 4.50 inches. I wonder if the steering column may have been dropped or damaged during shipping to you from Columns Galore. (I hope that Columns Galore didn't build the column with the wrong steering shaft). Assuming that it is the correct steering shaft, you should be able to grip the steering shaft (or install the detachable flange and pry on it) to get the steering shaft extended to the 4.50 inch dimension.

One other dimension that you can use to double check. With the steering gear in place and the steering column installed, the distance from the very end of the steering gear input shaft to the very end of the steering column shaft should be approximately 1.0 inch (with a maximum distance of 1.3 inches.)
Old 04-18-2004, 01:55 PM
TR69
Instructor

I do not think they replaced the shaft...I will do as you say,,it did seem to want to come out some this AM but I did not want to force...thanks..!!
Old 04-18-2004, 06:00 PM
TR69
Instructor

JIM SHEA, YOU ARE THE MAN..Did as you said, the shaft extended to 4.5, installed in the car and pefect...thanks, beer is on me ...

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! Steering column re-install...to short....!!??

Quick Reply: HELP!! Steering column re-install...to short....!!??