C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a ride yesterday,now I need to fix it again!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 11:38 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Took a ride yesterday,now I need to fix it again!

The saga of on the road,off the road again continues,though this times minor problem can be fixed easily.I cruised 65 miles on a beautiful sunny day and on the last stretch of road before I got home I saw a plume of smoke in the rearview mirror.Pulled over and determined my power steering system caused it,but couldn't tell if it was a hose or what.This morning I checked it out and the hoses look OK,and I've replaced everything once already within the last six years.In the process of checking out the power steering,I noticed my alternator mount is cracked.This too was replaced due to a crack in the same place,which Bubba had tried to weld.
So it appears I need to re invent the way the alternator mount is made,and at the same time I'm toying with a manual rack and pinion setup,so I'm not sure how to go about this.I guess I should fix the alternator bracket with some sort of aftermarket setup that will allow the same mounting location due to wiring and plumbing conciderations.That way I have the option of retaining power steering if I decide to go that route.I also was thinking of removing the steering ram and leaving the pump belt off to get a feel for what manual steering would be like.

Anyway if some of you have mounting suggestions(pics) or feedback on my situation,fire away!

[Modified by The Money Pit, 11:40 AM 4/18/2004]
Old 04-18-2004, 04:37 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Took a ride yesterday,now I need to fix it again! (The Money Pit)

The saga of on the road,off the road again continues,though this times minor problem can be fixed easily.I cruised 65 miles on a beautiful sunny day and on the last stretch of road before I got home I saw a plume of smoke in the rearview mirror.Pulled over and determined my power steering system caused it,but couldn't tell if it was a hose or what.This morning I checked it out and the hoses look OK,and I've replaced everything once already within the last six years.In the process of checking out the power steering,I noticed my alternator mount is cracked.This too was replaced due to a crack in the same place,which Bubba had tried to weld.
So it appears I need to re invent the way the alternator mount is made,and at the same time I'm toying with a manual rack and pinion setup,so I'm not sure how to go about this.I guess I should fix the alternator bracket with some sort of aftermarket setup that will allow the same mounting location due to wiring and plumbing conciderations.That way I have the option of retaining power steering if I decide to go that route.I also was thinking of removing the steering ram and leaving the pump belt off to get a feel for what manual steering would be like.
Anyway if some of you have mounting suggestions(pics) or feedback on my situation,fire away!
[Modified by The Money Pit, 11:40 AM 4/18/2004]
I think your making all this up to justify your namesake MONEYPIT . :jester
But really the manual steering cars used a different ratio box and would feel nothing like a power system with the belt off. What I'm saying is you realy need a manual box to try it.
But hey if you can live with manual sys how's 'bout a manual box and single belt serpetine system off '90s truck. That has a very strong ALT mount ( on the later blocks that had to be beefed up some).
But my future hope is to install a whole single serpetine belt sys including the P.S.. :lol:
Old 04-18-2004, 04:47 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Took a ride yesterday,now I need to fix it again! (cardo0)

You will wear out the rag joint pretty fast too, ask me how I know :lol:
Old 04-18-2004, 04:56 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Took a ride yesterday,now I need to fix it again! (cardo0)

But really the manual steering cars used a different ratio box and would feel nothing like a power system with the belt off. What I'm saying is you realy need a manual box to try it.
[/QUOTE]
I thought the box was the same and you moved the tierod ends out or in on the steering arms for Power or Non-power.
:cheers:
Old 04-18-2004, 06:01 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Took a ride yesterday,now I need to fix it again! (RHD '68 L89)

Okay, my bad. Only '69 used a different box for manual.
I was thinking in line with the big cars as I still have a manual box for a '70 GTO. :conehead
But still the feel with the ps valve and slave cylinder still on will be entirely different.

Get notified of new replies

To Took a ride yesterday,now I need to fix it again!

Quick Reply: Took a ride yesterday,now I need to fix it again!