C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secratary of State mess-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 06:50 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Secratary of State mess-up

I took a friend for a ride yesterday. I get pulled over by Michigan State Police because he ran my plate and it doesn't show up in the system. :confused: I registered the plate to the car in 97 as a authentic 73 plate. Registration has non-expiring stamped on it. The officer was very polite and told me to go to SS sometime next week and have them figure it out.
There is nothing more embarrassing then sitting on the side of the road with red lights flashing.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (redwingvette)

There is nothing more embarrassing then sitting on the side of the road with red lights flashing.
Your right. This is wrong because you did nothing wrong to provoke the situation other than drive your car. If you had been in a daily driver sedan he never would have looked at you.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that Brian, hope it can be cleared up quickly. Pretty nice of the cop to let you with no ticket.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Must be part of the new Homeland Security. Give a nod to the 6 arabs in a Civic but target the Classic Corvette owner. :D
Old 04-18-2004, 09:59 AM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (Fevre)

Actually, I'd be pretty happy if every cop I ever saw ran my plate on every car I owned. I'd like to think that if one were ever stolen, I might get it back.

He only pulled you over when the computer showed that something was not right. I know it's a PITA, but I'd rather know. Obviously, that's only my $0.02, but I figure that every private company in the world, and especially every bank, knows more about me than I'd care for. I don't worry nearly as much about the cops having access to my car registration information as I do about Bank of America knowing what time I pee in the morning.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:42 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (tpiini)

You should be glad your car was not impounded and scheduled for crushing! :eek: MJ
Old 04-18-2004, 11:01 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (Jughead)

Must be part of the new Homeland Security. Give a nod to the 6 arabs in a Civic but target the Classic Corvette owner. :D
:leaving:

:lolg:
Old 04-18-2004, 12:00 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (Fevre)

"Sorry to hear that Brian, hope it can be cleared up quickly. Pretty nice of the cop to let you with no ticket."

Ya, seeing that was the only reason he pulled me over. Good thing I had all my paperwork in order. :crazy: When I registered my plates it was the first time they went to non-expiring system and I got pulled over twice by cops that didn't no the law had changed. They pulled me over for not having any stickers on the plate. Prier to that they gave you a 5-year sticker.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like kind of a hassle, and sort of embarassing, but I think it's good to know that the officer spotted something that appeared to not be correct, and addressed the situation. :yesnod: Sounds like he was decent about it, and now you can get it cleared up. Good to know that there are law officers that know how to do their job and not simply drive around on a power trip. :chevy

-Justin
Old 04-18-2004, 04:15 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Maybe they were just bored and wanted to look at your corvette. :cool:
Maybe a good thing they run corvette plates in your area in case of thieft. :mad
Old 04-19-2004, 12:29 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (cardo0)

I went to the SoS to find out what the problem was with my plate and they told me that authentic plates never show up in the computer system. :confused: They said the cops are suppose to call Lansing to check on them. I hope there is someone there if my car ever does get stolen.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Fevre
Race Director

That sounds odd to me. So if they pull you over after the SoS is closed what are they supposed to do? :confused:
Old 04-19-2004, 08:02 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got sent a bill from the City of Lansing for excessive parking tickets one time. It was for a bunch of them and the total was well over $100. The bill was forwarded to me through my office at work. After calling to see what was up, this was the story:

I called the City of Lansing and told them that I haven't been there for at least the past 6 months so the tickets couldn't be mine. They agreed to look in to it a little further. I was assigned to drive an M-plate (Manufacturer's plates) car for a few weeks through work (It's a tough job sometimes but someone's gotta do it :jester ). Company policy is that a driver of a company car that gets a ticket or violation pays for it themselves so that's why I got the bill. It turns out that the State of Michigan also issues G-plates for state government verhicles that have the same basic format layout as the M-plates (except of course for the G in the middle). A state employee had been parking his state issued car illegally for the last couple of months and was letting the tickets pile up without paying them!!! The G-plate of the state employee had the same numbers on it as my M-plate! The officer that was following up on the overdue tickets had mis-written the G and wrote an M in the license number. :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Our state representatives at work!!!! :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Who'da thunk it??? :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 04-19-2004, 08:05 PM
motown 71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (LemansBlue68)

Mi secretary of state and I suppose our State government has REALLY gone to the dogs..(female dogs) :lolg: :lolg:
Old 04-20-2004, 07:38 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (motown 71)

Is this just another way to invade my privacy? Or is it a way to keep people with historic and authentic plates from driving their cars as daily drivers. If you don't want the cops to have another reason to pull you over then don't get one. My driving record is clean for the most part (outside of the bank I need to rob to keep the car on the road :lol:). Just keep driving. :auto:
Old 04-20-2004, 07:54 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been running a correct bicentential plate on my car for two years now. I drove the car to Nashville and back without issue. The car was pulled over once in Waterford and there was nothing said. I think you probably ended up with a State Trooper that didn't know his **** from a hole in the ground.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:27 AM
vetteonr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (dman535)

You gotta love our state police here in Michigan :skep: I can't wait till one reads my new plate and asks "are you trying to prove it". (see plate below) :eek: Just be real careful driving with ANY Michigan plate in Ohio :mad
Old 04-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Glad he was a good guy about it. My Dad has a set of the old bicentennial plates that I want to put on my 77. Is there a link that I can look at about doing the paperwork?
Old 04-20-2004, 03:25 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Secratary of State mess-up (Aflac)

You can get the form from any SoS office. Then you need to make a copy of the plate and send it to Lansing. Takes a couple of weeks and cost $35.

Get notified of new replies

To Secratary of State mess-up

Quick Reply: Secratary of State mess-up