C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 04:22 AM
76blues
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle

recently had my brother-in-law did a tune up,replaced rotor and cap,oil drain plug, oil change and a fuel pump. Two days later is when my problems started, idle rough, won't stay tuned and on a cold start the choke will not engage unless I press the pedal down and hold it for a minute or so.

The car shakes and I can hear a rattle just below the center console. The engine idles better when it is in nuetral!

Have no idea what he did and he is no longer around (sister kicked him out).

Some help would be appreciated
Old 04-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Action Vette
Cruising

Default Re: rough idle (76blues)

Always check the easiest things 1st, 1- make sure all of the vacume lines are connected, check your timing start there that will cure most of your problrms.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:11 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: rough idle (Action Vette)

Sure sounds like a vacuum line was knocked off. There are a lot to look at. don't forget the headlight system. All it takes on an old hose a slight pull and off it comes. If you have trouble, put a vacuum gauge on the engines and you should be pulling 16-18" on a stock motor at idle. Crimp off 1 at a time and one of them will make a difference - trace it out.

Plugs and wires - not unheard of to have a bad one or have a wire not seated properly in the cap or on the plugs.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:31 AM
76blues
7th Gear

I had it looked at once and the timing was off by 10 degrees, it was set but would not hold, they said the carb was running too rich, I will take it by a friend's house today to see if he can help, he owns a 74. One problem is that the right actuator is bad, I did kinda figure that the problem could be in the complex vaccum system. Thanks guys.

One problem I have is cash flow since my other car was in an accident and pending medical tests and surgery makes it tough!

I did notice my bro-in-law messing with the lines when he was trying to figure out why the head lamps were having problems lifting up!

I may be forced to sell this and that will hurt as this is my 1st vet and I love it so much. Ever since I saw and rode in one at the age of 9, I wanted one, that was 41 years ago!
Old 04-18-2004, 09:33 AM
76blues
7th Gear

Default Re: rough idle (Action Vette)

does anyone have a diagram of the vaccum system so I can do a visual check myself?

send to blues76@adelphia.net
Old 04-18-2004, 09:48 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

got mail
Old 04-18-2004, 10:04 AM
76blues
7th Gear

Default Re: rough idle (redwingvette)

Thanks again! I'll let you know!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:13 PM
76blues
7th Gear

Okay, checked the vaccum lines and works fine for a while, but goes right back to the rough idle. I have a cannister located directly below the window washer and I noticed it has a hose that runs into the fron of the carb at the base. There is also another line which runs down into some sort of relay, not sure what it is. The line going to the carb looks dry and appears to have a split just before the clamp.

Get notified of new replies

To rough idle

Quick Reply: rough idle