C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT- House almost done

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT- House almost done

really have taken this new year light as far as working on the Vette is considered. Been doing small things, chrome, replacing mirrors etc. Bought a new house in December and sat back today and figured what I accomplished.

1. Painted 1500 sq. ft of walls 2 coats gloss white.
2. Replaced 2 sinks and all faucets in the house.
3. Hung 2 doors w/ frames
4. Helped Susan with hanging all the shelves, centering pictures using a formula she/NASA must use!! :banghead:

Anyway it's just about done. Just cut check today for Berber and spanish tile which starts next week and sets me back another 6K. :banghead: Place is really coming along. Well maybe this fall I'll have the time/ $$$ to re-start taking Cali-2 to the level Cali-1 was.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: OT- House almost done (Cali,68,L-79)

We are getting ready to paint the ceilings and pull down the wall paper in the kitchen so those walls can be painted. Just got new living room furniture that is going to be delivered in a couple of weeks. Kinda gets in the pocket pretty hard while having the vette painted too. Hopefully I will come through it with a little sanity left.
Good luck on the house, I know we are gonna need it. :lolg:
Old 04-18-2004, 10:42 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

I've been going thru the same thing for about the past year.
My house was built about 16 years ago.
Redone everything from the roof to the floors.
Pulled up every plant in my yard and working on a re-landscaped.
In the middle of a sprinkler system install. Front yard complete and moving to the back. Glad my Dad owns a trencher!
The garage is next. :smash:
Old 04-18-2004, 11:35 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: OT- House almost done (68rdstr)

I just got my first house last week. I'm having a contractor epoxy the garage floor and build a workbench and sink. I just got done with carpet cleaning. Next I'll add lighting to the garage and then it's the family rooms turn. Crown moldings, paint the walls and hardwood floor. The 50" DLP screen is on order. Life is good. :D
Old 04-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: OT- House almost done (zwede)

I just got my first house last week. I'm having a contractor epoxy the garage floor
I started first in the garage and painted it out, luckily the walls were in great shape. And transfered myworkbench from the last house. the previous owner has a tr-level effect shelving which works out great and I have reserved 15 feet of open slelf area to do Vette projects. I'm also thinking of the epoxy for the floors but I want to finsh the Vette before I do it becuase i don't want to ruinthe epoxy with the jack stands. Saw three shades at Home Depot but not the shade I'm looking for. I'm looking for a light gey with speckles in it. I wonder if the paint mixer guys can do the same mixing and add speckles as they can do with latex or oil based paints. Now if you have the money the way to go is Terrazo (spel?) that stuff won't scratch and requires a jack hammer to remove but the $1700 I was quoted was out of my league.

Good luck to all and hope we all can get back to whats important working on the Vettes.

:D
Old 04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
zwede
Race Director

I hear very bad things about the stuff home depot carries. If you can do the whole garage for $100, the coating will be low quality and will peel. Just the materials to do a good epoxy is $400. If you want to do it yourself, look into http://www.ucoatit.com
Old 04-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

This one looks nice.

How much works involved?
Old 04-18-2004, 01:59 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

a friend of mine used the home depot stuff and when he gets home from a cruise the tires are hot and stick the floor coating and it peels.

Ive ben doing home stuff too these last few weeks,kitchen is finally done,getting ready to install a shower stall in our second bathroom and finish a few more ceramic tiles in the den.Then its time for a 16x28 addition,master bedroom and master bath with walkin closets.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:32 PM
zwede
Race Director

How much works involved?
Quite a bit to do it right. The process the contractor is doing is clean off any oil stains with degreaser and scrubber. Then the floor was sanded with a huge machine. This breaks the glaze so the concrete gets absorbent. After that it was acid washed, the acid neutralized and then hosed off. With the floor still wet a water based primer was rolled on all the high traffic areas. On monday he's finishing the job with the epoxy top coat. I priced the materials for my 3-car garage and ended up at $850. He's charging me $1000 installed with a warranty. Easy decision. :yesnod:
Old 04-18-2004, 05:28 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The house is a better investment then the vet. MY house always takes precidence over the car. I become very **** this time of year with the grounds. It also keeps the wife happy when I show so much interest in the house. I work on the vet through the winter months but come summer and it take a back seat so to speak. I just drive it.
Trying to buy a new lawn tractor, a 20 horse liquid john Deer. I already have 2 but I would sell one to get this new John Deer.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Shrike
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: OT- House almost done (norvalwilhelm)

I hear ya, we just moved into our second house last year. Had to refinish the kitchen (new floors, re-did the cabinets, plumbing, paint) painted the bedrooms and hall (7 different colors) painted exterior (half done) converted attic space into bathroom for upstairs room (that was a killer- took 6 weekends had to frame it, plumb it, wire it, sheetrock it, paint it- whew!) now all I have left is the media room, living room, dining room and my wife will let me work on the garage(s). In between, I work on the vette in my spare time....I'm depressed now.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: OT- House almost done (Shrike)

Sounds like I'm in good company.

A wise man once told me "People going to the beach on Saturday are renters, those going to Home Depot are home owners"

:yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 04-19-2004, 02:57 AM
1971Ultra
Racer

Just to let ya know, once you think you've got the house done it's time to start over. Its my experience that it doesn't matter whether it's an old or new house - IT'S JUST NEVER DONE. :crazy:

Congrats to those that just bought a house and those that just bought their first house. Isn't it great to have a garage.

By the way Cali, how do you afford California? I just moved back to AZ from Northern Cali. Man is it expensive up there!. Though if I were to ever live in Cali again it would have to be San Diego.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:51 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 763 Likes on 532 Posts

Default Re: OT- House almost done (1971Ultra)

I was going to buy a Harley but I got this killer Dinette set instead! :lol: :jester
Old 04-19-2004, 09:23 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: OT- House almost done (theandies)

I was going to buy a Harley but I got this killer Dinette set instead! :lol: :jester
If you picked a "Dinette Set" over a Harley, I want to see "PICS!"

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 04-19-2004, 10:06 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear very bad things about the stuff home depot carries. If you can do the whole garage for $100, the coating will be low quality and will peel. Just the materials to do a good epoxy is $400. If you want to do it yourself, look into http://www.ucoatit.com
That's true of the "one-part" epoxy. The two-part is good stuff. I did my garage last year, and it holds up great. Jack stands, floor jacks, an engine hoist, two engine stands, a coke machine, and metal shelving haven't scratched the coating. I didn't have any hot-tire marks, and all fluids wipe right up. The only flaw in my entire garage is a small divot in the concrete where I dropped the TH400 onto the floor.

As far as the guy with the hot tire pick-up problem, it sounds like he didn't let it cure out. I had to leave my car at my folks for a week and a half before I could drive it on the floor.

Finally, no matter which product you go with, think twice about adding the flecks to the surface. It looks neat, but it's a real bitch when you sweep the garage, because it's hard to tell where you've cleaned already.

[Modified by Jeff 6T9, 9:09 AM 4/19/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To OT- House almost done

Quick Reply: OT- House almost done