C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad fuel pump?

My '75 has been off the road a couple of years while I was fixing it up and busy doing other things. The car still starts great and runs okay but loses power, gasps and almost dies at anything more than 1/2 throttle. It'll catch again if you take your foot off the gas and wait a couple of seconds. It started doing this before I took it off the road. Doesn't like going more than 40-50 mph or so. Standard tune-up items are OK, Q-Jet was rebuilt and a leaking front vacuum-break assembly replaced (I thought this was the culprit for awhile).

The gas has been stabilized and every couple of months I've started it up and ran for awhile, so some new gas has been added. I'm open to thoughts on this one: I'm suspicious of the fuel pump but would appreciate opinions.

TIA

Old 04-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Bad fuel pump? (Frank75)

sounds like a clogged fuel filter. could even be ignition
Old 04-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Bad fuel pump? (Matt Gruber)

Matt, thanks for your reply. The filter at the carb was the first thing I replaced. I don't think there's another one but can check. What part of the ignition would you suspect? Plugs and wires are new and timing is set (stock). Maybe it's time to disassemble the distributor and install that timing advance kit... The car does have headers and true duals but I rejetted per Lars' recommendations when I rebuilt the carb.

Old 04-18-2004, 06:42 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

module
pick up coil
coil
i would check fuel pressure first, as it could be a clogged tank sock, or a pinched hose

[Modified by Matt Gruber, 7:05 AM 4/18/2004]
Old 04-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Bad fuel pump? (Matt Gruber)

Well, there seems to be plenty of fuel getting put out by the pump so that's good news. Time to dig into the ignition. Anyone know if one can check basic resistances, etc. for a HEI ignition system? The cap/coil looks original but the car starts and runs well in neutral. Just under higher loads that it just about dies. Time to head over to FAQ I guess.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

buy a new dist. proform has them $139

Get notified of new replies

To Bad fuel pump?

Quick Reply: Bad fuel pump?