C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 03:56 PM
matchframe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Pedal Install

My '78 Vette came from the factory with an Automatic, and I am converting it to Manual Trans.

I bought the clutch/brake pedal assembly that I believe came from a '69 Vette. I came to the conclusion that it was a non-power brake Vette because the bolt pattern on the bracket was different. Here is the older bracket:

This is the bracket that was in my Vette which has power brakes. See how the bolt pattern is different:

I moved all of the clutch pedal assembly to my original bracket in order to have a direct bolt-in. I now have the clutch pedal temporarily installed in my Vette.

I still have to cut the hole for the clutch rod to go through the firewall:

If you ever wondered what all the wiring under the dash looks like, well here is the one out of my '78:

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 04-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Clutch Pedal Install (matchframe)

Looking good.

Is it possible to adjust the height of the clutch pedal? I'm installing a new power booster and the rod was 1/2" shorter than the old one. I installed it and connected the brake pedal to the clevis and measured the distance from the pedal to the floor. According to my Assembly Manual, it is now in the correct possition, 3.68" from the floor. But now my clutch sits way high.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Skipple
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hat's off to you !! Big job ahead ... but eat the elephant one bite at a time and you'll be cruzin' before you know it!

Keep the pic's coming ...

:thumbs:
Old 04-18-2004, 01:50 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Looking good. :thumbs: Thats a lot of work, now its time to weld the clutch tower for the z bar. On my 80 there were 2 threaded holes in the frame to accept it, hope you have them also. There were also 3 tiny depressions where the rubber clutch rod seal will mount (for the screws) where the rod will go thru the wall on 80's.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:14 AM
matchframe
Pro

Default Re: Clutch Pedal Install (Ak. Mal)

Looking good.

Is it possible to adjust the height of the clutch pedal? I'm installing a new power booster and the rod was 1/2" shorter than the old one. I installed it and connected the brake pedal to the clevis and measured the distance from the pedal to the floor. According to my Assembly Manual, it is now in the correct possition, 3.68" from the floor. But now my clutch sits way high.
I really don't see how the clutch pedal can be adjusted upward because the clutch and brake pedal share the same pivot pin. You can adjust where the pedals sit in relation to each other by adjusting the clutch linkage where it attaches to the Z-Bar.

Hope this helps!

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 04-18-2004, 06:21 AM
matchframe
Pro

Default Re: Clutch Pedal Install (Skipple)

My hat's off to you !! Big job ahead ... but eat the elephant one bite at a time and you'll be cruzin' before you know it!

Keep the pic's coming ... :thumbs:
Thanks for the encouragement!!!!

When I do look at the whole picture of the project, kind of bums me out knowing how much there is left to do. But when I approach it as many little projects, I feel like I am accomplishing something. One step at a time!

I do miss cruising in the Vette, especially this time of the year when the weather is so nice.

Thanks again!

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 04-18-2004, 06:32 AM
matchframe
Pro

Default Re: Clutch Pedal Install (John65,80)

Looking good. :thumbs: Thats a lot of work, now its time to weld the clutch tower for the z bar. On my 80 there were 2 threaded holes in the frame to accept it, hope you have them also. There were also 3 tiny depressions where the rubber clutch rod seal will mount (for the screws) where the rod will go thru the wall on 80's.
I have the clutch tower for it and it has the holes to bolt it to the frame, but my frame does not have the threaded holes for it to bolt to. In fact, I am not really sure where to weld the bracket to the frame, because with the body off, and engine out, there is nothing to line it up to find its spot on the frame.

I am building a Gen V 454 for it, which does not have the pivot ball on the block. My plan is to buy the pivot ball bracket from Scoggins/Dickey for the Gen V and VI blocks, and mount the block on the frame to line up the Z-Bar so I can locate exactly where the Z-Bar bracket needs to be welded on the frame.

I have not looked closely where the linkage will go through the firewall yet, hopefully the 78 also has the depressions where the rubber clutch rod seal will mount.

What transmission did you put in your 80?

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 04-18-2004, 02:05 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Bill, Running a BW super T 10 in my 80.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pedal Install

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Install