C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog Nazis are Coming to

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 09:06 AM
Vette-4-Life
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smog ***** are Coming to

Michigan.

A front page article in the Lansing State Journal indicated that smog levels are too high, mostly in the Metro Detroit and Grand Rapids areas.
Here's a quote from the article.

"The worst areas in Michigan are Detroit and Grand Rapids. The EPA ordered several southeastern Michigan counties to begin mandatory vehicle emissions testing, which is expected to take several years to start."

No details of cost, testing or how old of a car will be tested was given.
Could take all the fun out of making more HP.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:17 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Smog ***** are Coming to (Vette-4-Life)

I feel your pain. NC has been doing it for years under the guise of state inspections. They just went up to $30 a year for these guys to stick a probe in your tail pipe :eek: and check all your light bulbs. We are moving just over the state line to SC as soon as our house sells and just found out they are getting ready to do the smog **** thing. :smash:
Old 04-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw that, hope it does not reach Washtenaw county, we did not get tested in the past like other counties around us. My guess is it is actually coming from the housing boom and the trucks carrying the building materials not from passenger cars.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:45 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

In New Jersey there's about to be a MAJOR smog assult. If you own a Corvette other than stock in NJ, be ready for the battle.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:46 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Smog ***** are Coming to (killain)

They started doing Collin county where I live 2 years ago. Now I heard that much of our smog comes up from the south which is Ellis county. They have a lot of industry with poor emissions controls. Since their crap blows to the north the air quality in Ellis is OK. Thanks, buttwipes.... The EPA finally clued in and mandated Ellis to fix it. But they gave them until 2010. :mad

Good part is the inspection program only goes back 24 years so my 71 is in the clear. I actually emit much less than stock with my EFI, but technically I'm supposed to have a 30 year old carb on there to be legal. :confused:
Old 04-18-2004, 10:41 AM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Smog ***** are Coming to (zwede)

Zwede....we've been under smog rules for 2 years here in Ellis county also. What's always amazed me is that while good old "smokey" Joe Barton has no problem with smogging cars.... he's been fighting EPA restrictions on the Midlothian industrial complex for years. There's little doubt that much of the bad air coming your way is from Ellis county.....it's been proven many times. Ennis's city manager was so confident that Barton would prevail that he's been in the process of annexing a piece of land 20 miles from the city limits for a new power plant. What's in it for the power plant??.....city services. What's in it for Ennis?....taxes? Nope....power plant gets a long term tax abatement. What's in it for the city manager?....Hmmm. But alas....as of this week the EPA has finally whipped smokey Joe....at least for a while. I hope they do shut down or update some of those foul smelling industries.....I'm as sick of it as you are. Sorry for the rant.....I feel much better now. :cheers:

[Modified by goinbroke, 9:43 AM 4/18/2004]

[Modified by goinbroke, 10:34 AM 4/18/2004]
Old 04-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Old Black Chevy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noticed in the local news last week that Richmond and other localities, in Virginia, got tagged also. I believe that we were given a few years to get our act together. There's a Philip Morris tobacco plant across the street from where I work. Usually by the time I get off work the Hog is covered with a fine brown talcum powder. Doesn't smell to good either. Guess we're breathing second hand snuff.

Old Black Chevy/Travis :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Smog Nazis are Coming to

Quick Reply: Smog Nazis are Coming to