C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 09:58 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake suggestions

this car is killing me. was gonna adjust my parking brake so i could hopefully, finally, try to go thru inspection and get tags.
of course , bubba had been there too. r/r rotor had been put on so you couldn't access the adjuster. hard line to the caliper was kinked. pulled caliper. installed rotor correctly. but wait, somethings wrong. the dayum adjuster is m.i.a. :mad put it together, to repair at a later date. figured id unkink the line. it had bent right at the caliper. figured the morons wrench slipped and bent it . noooo. as soon as i unbent it , brake fluid starts pouring out of the caliper. i now know the moron did it on purpose.
so, i guess my question is, who do you guys recommend for brake kits?
im leaning towards vb&p for the calipers & hardware. rock auto for the rotors.
oh yea. also noticed goober put a stack of washers on one side of the rear spring and none on the other. funny thing is, the side w/ the washers still sits lower. guess nows also a good time for a vb&p composite spring too.
the scary thing about this whole ordeal is, the moron that did all this to my poor car is supposedly an aircraft mechanic. wish i knew which airline NOT to fly. i have the guys name and addy on the title & at times , its taken a lot of self control to not pay him a visit...
Old 04-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Jasonty
Pro

Default Re: brake suggestions (neverendingproject)

I looked into my Vette's brakes for a while, researched it for about 2 months, and found this company called Precision Engineering. They offer the O-Ring calipers WAYYYYY cheaper then VB&P. I bought all 4 O-Ring calipers from them. They sell a kit that comes with brake pads, calipers, rubber brake lines, and all the bolts and stuff. I bought the kit without the pads, and upgraded the rubber lines to stainless steel braided brake lines. Got it all for about $350. These brakes are so very sweet. Their website is www.fixvetteparts.com Rik's Corvette has the cheapest preformed steel caliper lines that I've found. I think they're about $9/ea. www.riksvet.com Good luck!!

[Modified by Jasonty, 9:54 PM 4/16/2004]
Old 04-16-2004, 11:10 PM
vette75406
Instructor

Default Re: brake suggestions (Jasonty)

vette parts online sells the same caliper even cheaper than Precision Engineering, they are vettepartsonline.com
Old 04-16-2004, 11:48 PM
gotchashawn
Instructor

Default Re: brake suggestions (vette75406)

I just got my rear (o-ring stainless steel) calipers from VB & P 3 months ago at a good price thru a group purchase here on da corvetteforum. They work'd out great ! I've got the replacement s/s emerg. brake parts for my next project.
On the other subject, of your previous , car owner/mechanic , if your in Tenn. the aircraft mech. (NOT AIRLINE) guy is most likley working for Fed-Ex or for D.H.L. So if you want to fly a Great airline go CONTINENTAL AIR. Should I be working in SALES or what ???????? NO, I can't deal w/ customers. :U
Old 04-17-2004, 12:37 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

I've bought brake parts from both VB&P and Muskegon Brakes. Both have been top-notch quality. Personally, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for quality, and the knowledge that if something isn't right they'll fix it.

I don't know anything about the other vendors folks have suggested; this is just my positive experience with the two I've dealt with.

Good luck :cheers:
Old 04-18-2004, 12:39 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer the O ring piston sold by Zero Tolerance. It has a different profile which cannot misalign in the bore.

Get notified of new replies

To brake suggestions

Quick Reply: brake suggestions