C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 06:49 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read

Alright guys here's the deal, I'm looking to trade my vette for a Harley for the summer (will probably get another vette at the end of the summer). But anyway, I posted it on racingjunk.com that I wanted to trade it for a harley.... http://www.racingjunk.com/vc/225270/classifiedad.html (read the entire ad because it tells everything I'm including) so I get an email from someone telling me they want to buy the vette outright and to tell him my asking price..... well I said $14,500 (which at the time I thought was slightly high but I really don't wanna sell it outright anyway) and about an hour later he sent me an email back saying he'd take it. Seeing as how he immediately tried to ****** it up I was just wondering if I was low on my asking price. What do you guys think I should do???? I know you guys will steer me straight.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:15 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read (TravMsns)

Don't take offense, but 14+ for a 78 is (IMO) a tad high.
If it were low miles original ... maybe.
Modified brings the price down - but you include all "originals". Nice.
Also, the 78 aluminum rear end isn't the best for hot rodding.

So, I guess it sounds about right - since many original parts have been kept
for this reason. You just got lucky and found someone that wanted exactly
what you had.

Good luck ... and you can still wave to us C3s !!

:seeya
Old 04-16-2004, 07:21 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read (TravMsns)

I would say you got extremely lucky.

Be happy.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read (OHSIXX)

I'd take that $14,500 and RUN. :yesnod:
Old 04-16-2004, 07:26 PM
triadecho
Advanced

Watch a few of them on EBAY and see what they bring.
It may be more accurate than guide books.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:44 PM
PaceCarTN
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

Be careful when he starts telling you he is going to send you more money than you are asking…..bla bla bla. :jester
Old 04-17-2004, 09:20 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read (PaceCarTN)

Be careful when he starts telling you he is going to send you more money than you are asking…..bla bla bla. :jester
:iagree: There is a very prevalent scam which plays out exactly as you described. Internet ad for a car or bike gets a reply from someone who wants to buy it.... usually from overseas. Payment comes in the form of a certified check in excess of the sales price. Buyer gives some cockamamie excuse for the excess payment and asks you to refund the excess. You deposit this certified check in your bank account and wire excess to the buyer. Maybe a full week later your bank tells you the check was counterfeit and they remove the entire amount from your account. Hopefully all this typing was a waste of time, but BE VERY CAREFUL!! :eek:

BTW, very cool car :cool: , but this type of modded vette is usually very hard to sell (gotta find the right buyer) and anyone even considering buying a heavily modded vette would want to inspect it first. Probability is high your "buyer" is trying to scam. :(

[Modified by MNJack, 9:24 AM 4/17/2004]
Old 04-17-2004, 09:33 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Travis, I think you got the right price, but make sure this isn't some kind of scam that's been floating around lately. Have US cash in hand or a check that's cleared and is good. And be careful on the bike, people REALLY don't give a dam& if they run you over. :eek:
Old 04-17-2004, 10:22 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Looks like a cool street car. If you can get the $14,500 take it. Not to offend anyone but late 70's vettes are numerious and few hold high values. Case in pt,my 75 L-82 4spd car all original w/68k miles but needing work ...$3,000. I can build one like yours for less then the $14,500.

I would just be sure you want to sell it. Years ago my buddy did the same thing, sold his 71 454-365 4 spd, a/c vert w options for $6,000 to buy a used '73 sportster-Big mistake. If you can swing the bike and the car that would be great.
Good luck with your decision.
Gary
Old 04-17-2004, 10:37 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read (gtr1999)

here is another example of things to watch out for.............
it is extremely common. some of the scammers go thru internet websites that have car ads and email just about every seller on the website, trolling for potential victims...........
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...&id=1547069479

Old 04-17-2004, 11:05 AM
TravMsns
Instructor

Default Re: really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read (MNJack)

Whew....you guys saved my butt. just as I finished reading my recent email from this idiot I was like hmmmm, maybe i'll check the forum again and see what they had to say....sure enough I got the cockamamie excuse as to him sending an extra $5000 and that I should WU the extra money to the shipping company. So I sent him an email replying saying I will do so but I want at least 14 days for the check to clear and I wanted to know who the shipping company was. Thanks again guys, it's nice to know there are still honest bro's out there looking out for one another. I didn't really wanna sell her anyway, but I'm still looking to trade her for a harley if anyone is interested or you know of anyone, my email is travmasonis<at>hotmail<dot>com
Old 04-17-2004, 11:58 AM
red79c3
Racer

After rebuilding my 79 (not original) I learned that no matter what I do to it I will never get the money out of it. You should take the $14,500 and run as fast as you can since you won't have a corvette anymore!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-17-2004, 12:31 PM
aharte
Drifting

I'll be the odd one out here. If I were looking for a car now, I would consider buying yours for that price. I wouldn't look twice at an original 78. To be honest, I doubt anyone would unless they couldn't afford anything else. Yours can actually go fast (the whole point of owning a corvette), so I think its worth a lot more in modified form. The scoop might put some people off though.

Get notified of new replies

To really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read

Quick Reply: really need your guys' opinions on the value of my vette......Please Read