C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash panels question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 05:44 PM
pinky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash panels question

Has anyone tried the dash "skins" available from Corvette America? I don't like the fit of the after market dash, and finding O.E.M. in great conditions isn't happening.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:47 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Dash panels question (pinky)

I got one on my 79 and I like it. It fits like a glowe. I'm sure Twin_Turbo will chime in and tell you otherwise :D
Old 04-16-2004, 06:35 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Dash panels question (groovyjay)

Hey Pinky, If you try it I'd like to see it when you get done. I asked the same question a few months ago and got several "NO'S" and i think only about 1 "YES". I was talking about the full dash skins if that is what you meant
Old 04-16-2004, 09:01 PM
jetech
Racer

Pinky
I recovered mine with vinyl from an automotive upholstery supply. I also recovered the both T top trim panels, seat backs, and door panels. All came out well. I am not 100% pleased with the door panels because the area in front of the door handle requires some compression of the fabric so it leaves small wrinkles. But for a daily driver its not bad. I can e-mail you pictures or if someone wants to post them for me I will be glad to share. :cheers:
Old 04-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Skipple
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dash Skins: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Search on my previous posts about my experiances using CA's Skins. Primary problem is they are vac-formed and supposed to be applied with their contact adhesive. You have a devil of a time getting the skin "stretched" to match all the contours if contact adhesive is used.

I'd go with their NQP pads. I picked up a NQP top dash pad from them (after they credited me for the crummy, failed skin) and I still can't find the blemish.

Call their sales line and have the sales guy bring up the NQP pad up so he can inspect it. They'll shoot you straight and you'll be much happier with the result.

:thumbs:
Old 04-17-2004, 12:45 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Dash panels question (jetech)

Jetech,
I'd like to see the pics if you don't mind. I am pondering what to do with my interior now. Thanks.

Pat
Patrick.Brooks@alcoa.com
Old 04-17-2004, 01:02 PM
pinky
Racer

Default Re: Dash panels question (Skipple)

Thanks to all who are giving input. I've heard of the "strech" problem with the skins. I'm wondering if removing the original skin might help with that problem. As for the NQP, I've gotten other things like this and was surprised they considered it blemished. My problem with after market dash is that I purchased two at full price and they didn't fit very well. My bigest complate was how the gauges fit into the drivers side. Spending the money hasn;'t been a problem with this car, but I want it to look good, I dropped $400 on parts that looked terrible when installed. Not acceptable to me. Pics to all who have done work with these would be appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash panels question

Quick Reply: Dash panels question