C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new clutch not fully disengaging under hard load?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 03:24 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default new clutch not fully disengaging under hard load?????

Hey guys,

I have a new OEM replacement clutch in my '69. Under normal operation it engages and disengages smoothly with no issues. However, when I really step into it and accelerate hard, the clutch does not want to fully disengage when I attempt to shift into the next gear. I'm stumped as to what may be causing this. Any ideas? :confused:

After driving for a short while, the operation will return to normal. Any help is much appreciated.

Shannon
Old 04-17-2004, 10:08 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: new clutch not fully disengaging under hard load????? (sb69coupe)

TTT - Surely someone can help shed some light on this????? :confused:
Old 04-17-2004, 10:11 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Shannon hard to tell without looking at it,is it possible something is heating up and binding under load? Was the tranny input shaft smooth,no ridges so the bearing will slide ok?
Gary
Old 04-17-2004, 11:02 AM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: new clutch not fully disengaging under hard load????? (gtr1999)

Gary, the input shaft was smooth. Tom454 did the rebuild of the Muncie and he covered all the bases. The pedal still has the full range of travel when it behaves this way. It feels like the clutch is disengaging, but it does not fully release. I may try to take a little more of the free play out of the linkage, but I have it adjusted to spec right now as it sits.

The strange thing is that it operates correctly otherwise. It just seems to slightly hang up if I'm trying to shift after a few seconds of very hard acceleration. :confused:

Thanks for your input, I'll let you know if I find anything else after adjusting the linkage.

Shannon
Old 04-18-2004, 09:42 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fighting the same issue right now. When I first start the car and it is idleing at higher rpm, the clutch refuses to disengage. After the car warms ups and drops the idle down, all is normal. After adjusting the linkage and shifter several times, I've concluded the problem must be the pressure plate.
Why a brand new unit would have the same problem is confusing, but I'll bet that something is broken or out of alignment on your pressure plate.

Get notified of new replies

To new clutch not fully disengaging under hard load?????

Quick Reply: new clutch not fully disengaging under hard load?????