C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach Drive Gear Question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Raydon 3000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach Drive Gear Question?

My 1970 350 stripped some teeth on the tach drive gear and on the matching teeth on the distributor shaft. Can you just replace the tach drive gear and the distributor shaft or, as someone has told me, do you also have to do some machineing on the distributor housing. The explaination was the housing gets worn where the tach drive gear rides against the back wall of the housing. This needs to be machined out and a plug needs to be put in. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this repair?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:34 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Default Re: Tach Drive Gear Question? (Raydon 3000)

First, I think Lars wrote a paper on this,so you might want to check http://www.corvettefaq.com

I have rebuilt several of these this winter and it depends on the condition of your distibutor. On the ones I worked on, the housings were still good. Some have a factory plastic plug in them to prevent wear. I used a brass plug I made, in them. The problem I had was getting a good quality replacement gear and shaft. I tried a couple of places and got the same part from each and they are not machined correctly. 3 crossgears were bad and 1 shaft was bad. If you want to save a lot of aggrevation call High Tech in FL,they machine new parts that work. 800-777-1818
Gary

Quick Reply: Tach Drive Gear Question?