C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the undercarage/rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 02:30 PM
WillRace4Food
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Cleaning the undercarage/rear end

I've seen some pics of some guys who did a great job cleaning/painting the undercarage/rear end. Can you guys give me some advice. Did you take it apart to do it or with everything on the car? Do I just need to get under there with some degreeser, high grit sandpaper and paint?

This is what I'm starting with minus the exhaust. With no spare/exhaust its gonna out in the wide open so I want it to look better. Any help is greatly apreciated.
http://www.ipsb.net/herringt/76corvette/76lift.jpg

Tim
Old 04-16-2004, 03:05 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning the undercarage/rear end (WillRace4Food)

looks like its kinda clean so just do as i did:
i just brushed and painted the areas that were a little rusty with some rost protection and then some undercarrage paint.
i didnt take so much things loose but it went great!
i painted the spring silver and the calipers red
i dont have the spare either so every things shows from behind
now it looks really nice
:smash:
Old 04-16-2004, 03:11 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will end up looking much better if you take everything apart. It's hard to paint individual parts witch everything installed. However, if you do not have a good reason to tear it down, you should just leave everything in place and do the best you can. A simple tear down of the rear would get you access to most everything.

Remove the rear spring, disconnect the half shafts at the hub and at the differential and remove the half shafts. Remove the strut rods and strut rod bracket if possible. Leave the differential and trailing arms in place. You can clean up the spring, strut rods, half shafts, etc with them off the car, then the rest is much more accessible with that stuff out of the way. You should probably consider replacing u-joints and bushings "while you're in there" and check the side yokes, rear bearings, trailing arm bushings, etc for wear. More than likely, you'll find some more items that need to be replaced. Welcome to the fun world of small projects spiraling out of control.

Hence my recommendation of leaving well enough alone unless you really want to start digging in :D

Shannon
Old 04-17-2004, 02:23 AM
WillRace4Food
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning the undercarage/rear end (sb69coupe)

most of that stuff is new so I may be ok there..lol. I need to change the rear end fluid anyway so I may just take the easy stuff off to make cleaning it up/painting easier. Only Thing not new is trailing arm bushing and i'm thinking about getting offset trailing arms anyway.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:55 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice lift! :) The cleaning part is easy, but when you start painting you will wish it was apart... MJ

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning the undercarage/rear end

Quick Reply: Cleaning the undercarage/rear end