C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 LT1 in a C3, Gauge question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default C4 LT1 in a C3, Gauge question.

Hey all I am FINALLY getting the work started on the 77 that needs to be done and I know some of you have seen or done the Modern FI Lt1 from a C4 in a C3 conversion.. My question is which gauges can be used to monitor the engine. Do I need a Mechanical or Electrical Gauge to monitor the oil pressure, water temp, etc etc. The stock oil pressure gauge is currently working, and looks to be working very well. BUT I do not want to depend on a 25 year old gauge to monitor a "modern" engine. So I want to make the right choices when ordering my new aftermarket pieces.

Advice?? Comments? :cheers:
Old 04-15-2004, 12:43 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: C4 LT1 in a C3, Gauge question. (Madmikeee)

I have a 90 TPI motor in my 69. I am using the old gauges with no problems. In 77 the oil pressure is electric, use the stock sending unit. Use an 82 temperature sensor (3/8 instead od 1/2" threads) and you will have no problems. I am also using an 82 Oil temp gauge in place of my clock. If you have them rebuilt (Clocks by Roger did a nice job with mine) I don't see why they won't do fine.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: C4 LT1 in a C3, Gauge question. (markdtn)

Sounds good!.. All I have to do is figure out exactly how he set this up. IE the temp sensor etc.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2004, 03:29 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Your FI harness has a connector for the coolant temp sensor that the engine computer uses. You still need a regular sensor for the gauge. My wife had an LT1 Caprice and I think the sending unit is in the LH head between 1 and 3; same as the 77 350. Just use your stock engine harness, you still need it for oil pressure, temp gauge, alternator, starter, and power to the Coil. If you want to add oil temp, you probably have an extra now-unused wire going back through the bulkhead that you can use. I'm not super familiar with the 77 harness, but I'm sure there is something that you aren't using emissions related in the stock 77 engine harness. Use the stock 77 oil pressure sending unit. If you don't have a good 77 wiring diagram and a diagram for the LT1, now is a good time to get them. What are you doing for a fuel pump? Stock 82 sending unit with an LT1 pump? In my 69 I have an external pump and stock tank/pickup.

[Modified by markdtn, 2:33 PM 4/15/2004]
Old 04-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

anyone? anyone?? bueller? :lurk:
Old 04-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Just jam a meat thermometer into a freeze plug and with a series of small dental mirrors, you should be all set.:D
I would just run factory senders with the original gauges.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: C4 LT1 in a C3, Gauge question. (Fastguy)

Just jam a meat thermometer into a freeze plug and with a series of small dental mirrors, you should be all set.:D
I would just run factory senders with the original gauges.
:lolg: :lolg: :cheers:

Sorry for the late response.. Had to rebuild my machine today.. the old HDD went Tango Uniform :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To C4 LT1 in a C3, Gauge question.

Quick Reply: C4 LT1 in a C3, Gauge question.