C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocking dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 07:49 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Shocking dilemma

The other thread on Bilsteins has me thinking again about them....

I have 480-550?? spings in front and a 360? lbs VBP plastic spring in rear.....
some years when these were installed I bought the KYB's from VBP and bolted everything in place....

car is a bit too rough riding for my taste changing over the last ten years or so....

main question is.....just exactly what differance is there for going to the Bilsteins shocks over what I have with KYB?? is there any significant differance in the overall ride that would be worth 250 bux???

VBP recommends the Bilsteins over the KYB....but just how much change is it, and since the rears are such a PIA to change, I would like knowing it's really worth it for the effort....

second off, has anyone done this swap?? and if so....what is your opinion on the changover....

GENE
Old 04-15-2004, 08:40 AM
propellar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shocking dilemma (mrvette)

I just installed the advanced street & slalom system from Mid America on my 1970. I have not had the chance to drive the car yet as I have just a little more work to do. But I will say this after installing the system with these shocks & springs the car does not move when you push down on the front or rear of the car. Much stiffer than it was before installing system. This could be and probably is because of the new springs. I do not know if I will like it or not. I hope to have the car back on the road today or tomorrow. Also hoping the car will loosen up just a bit after driving. I will drive and give more feedback if you would like.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:09 AM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Default Re: Shocking dilemma (mrvette)

A lot of guys in the CF have found that with the composite springs the Bilsteins make a significant difference.

I have the the KYB GR-2s on the back and a set of no-names from pep boys on the front. THe front shocks are US made and fit into the base of the A-arms really well, the front KYBs don't.

Van Steel reccomended the KYBs and with the right composite spring they work great. I had a 340LB TRW pring and it kicked my a.. every time I drove it.

I now have the 300LB VBP spring and the ride is comfortable and the rear height is good. The KYBs work well with the soft spring but were not up to the challenge of a heavy duty spring. The ideal situation would be an adjustable rear shock absorber so that you could dial in the rebound that YOU find comfortable.

Get notified of new replies

To Shocking dilemma

Quick Reply: Shocking dilemma