C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detent (kickdown) Switch blues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:29 PM
R-J
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detent (kickdown) Switch blues.

howdy, I have a simple question:

How difficult is it to replace a detent (also known as the kickdown switch, causes the Auto trans to downshift at full throttle)? My manuals don't make it sound so bad, but I dont wan't to jack up my car, lay it on the jackstands and still have trouble crawling under it to find that it's difficult to do. Anyone know for sure?
Old 04-15-2004, 05:26 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Detent (kickdown) Switch blues. (R-J)

I have never replaced the switch itself but i did have trouble with it not kicking down. Mine (TH400) uses a fuse which I replaced and it worked fine after that. There is also a plunger type thingy by the gas pedal that needs to be pushed in. If you have been messing with the throttle cable you may have messed up the plunger, just try pushing it in. On the TH400 is's a little white button abotu an inch long. It's on the arm of the gas pedal.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:34 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Detent (Mystery Machine)

If you're referring to the solenoid in the trans, it's not hard to do as far as mechanical skills. But since you have to drop the pan, it's going to be very messy. Make sure you have a large oil catch pan and lots of kitty litter on hand. You should trouble shoot the solenoid, though, before you start invasive surgery. It could be elsewhere like the pedal switch as Mystery Machine points out.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Detent (kickdown) Switch blues. (R-J)

I just went throught this with mine. First check the fuse marked "heater" on the fuse box, as it also supplies 12v to the detent switch at the gas pedal. If it is good, then stick a 12v tester to the brown wire contact on the switch if it lights up, then with your finger pull the plunger towards you and make sure your tester lights when probe the orange contact. Then take your hand and push the gas pedal to carpet while you watch to see if it pushes the plunger enought to make your test light illuminate when you are touching the orange side. Assuming that all works, the orange wire which goes to the trans might be disconnected, or it may be connected to the outside connection but internally it could have fallen off solenoid and laying in the pan, or, the solenoid is bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Detent (kickdown) Switch blues.

Quick Reply: Detent (kickdown) Switch blues.