C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with windshield wipers on a 69'......

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default need help with windshield wipers on a 69'......

The 69' that I spent all winter working on is about done. I have driven it about 75 miles and it appears that all is well with the car. The only thing left is to get the windshield wipers to work. I'm sure they worked when I put the dash back together, but now they don't work. The wiper door opens just fine, but the wipers don't go. When I put the dash back in it and they did work the original wiper door canister was on, but it didn't work and I had to pull the wiper door open with my hand. After the interior was done I put a new wiper door actuator canister on and now the wiper door opens just fine, but the wipers don't come out. Any ideas? I checked the fuse and it is good, I also took the passenger side dash out and checked to make sure that the plug is still plugged onto the wiper switch. Can switching a wiper door canister cause the wiper motor to not work?????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad

-Justin
Old 04-14-2004, 09:33 PM
69_BigBlock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05
Default Re: need help with windshield wipers on a 69'...... (Dalannex)

Justin,

Two quick things to check are the limit switch in the engine bay and the override switch under the dash.

The limit switch is open when the wiper door is down. As the wiper door opens a linkage closes the limit switch which completes the circuit to the wiper motor. I had a problem where the linkage wasn't closing the switch and therefore the wiper motor had no juice.

The override switch is the rotary **** below the steering column. If it is in the wrong position it will open the circuit to the wiper motor. It is there so that you can service the wiper blades since they normally park behind the door when power is turned off. The switch should be turned to the left for normal operation.

Good Luck!

[Modified by 69_BigBlock, 9:48 PM 4/14/2004]
Old 04-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: need help with windshield wipers on a 69'...... (69_BigBlock)

I think the limit switch is closing. That is the one where the button of the switch sticks out into the engine compartment and when the door opens it pushes the button???? If so that part is working. The other one under the dash is something I'll have to check. I didn't even know that is what that was for. The **** is broken off, so it is just a plastic piece between the headlight vacuum switch and the wiper door vacuum switch. I'll go and check that and get back to you.

Later.
-Justin
Old 04-15-2004, 09:44 AM

Justin , one other thing to check is the ground wire that attaches to the gauge bezel .
Old 04-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: need help with windshield wipers on a 69'...... (geo par)

Which gauge bezel??? The center one or the speedo or tach? I assume you mean the center guage cluster. Is there a way I can test this without tearing the whole dash apart again? You see the problem here is that there were 2 of us working on this interior, but not always at the same time. My dad and I both worked on the car, so there are things that he put together that I didn't see, the center gauges are one of those things.

BTW, I checked the switch under the dash and found that it isn't the problem. I took the wires off of it and jumpered them together, still no wipers. :confused: :nonod:

-Justin
Old 04-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just hook a jumper wire from a good ground to the center bezel (that mounts the main wiper switch). Mine was cracked and I kept have this weird intermitent no wiper problem until I noticed these tiny sparks one night where it was cracked! Made a little jumper to ground and solved the problem 'till I get a new center bezel.

Hans
Old 04-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: need help with windshield wipers on a 69'...... (Wrencher)

I'll try that. Hopefully that's it. ;) I really should have been working on that today since it's the last day off I have for 6 days, but I decided to work on my custom stereo install on the 81' instead. :D I can just run a test lead from the negative terminal of the battery to one of the screws that hold the center gauge cluster in just to verify that's the problem, correct?

-Justin

Get notified of new replies

To need help with windshield wipers on a 69'......

Quick Reply: need help with windshield wipers on a 69'......