C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re. Frame rust proofing

Old 04-14-2004, 11:08 AM
mike229
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Question re. Frame rust proofing

Another question for my new aquisition:

The frame is solid as a rock and most of the susp. has been replaced recently.

There is some slight surface rust but no rot whatsoever

Ideally with $$ Id have it sandblasted and coated.

What can I do inexpensively to keep it solid?
The car will never again see rain as long as I own it, but my garage is not climate controlled either.

I guess Ive read that POR might be good? Is this a good idea? Is any major prep work necessary?

Any other tips or advice??

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Question re. Frame rust proofing (mike229)

Thinking of redoing my front suspension while they are redoing my roads so this is timely as i want to clean up the frame and suspension parts a bit too. Have read that a good wiring brushing and cleaning is all that is needed to prep for POR, will be :lurk: for some more input.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
PureSilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends if you are pulling the body off the frame or not. I did, as I needed some welding & desired some reinforcing welds. Wound up sandblasting and using POR-15 and Topcoat. Very nice stuff- just read the instructions and wear gloves. It says only time will take it off, and they're right. Hopefully, that will be the only really dumb thing I do this year. POR-15 is great-I'd recommend it. You can get away with wire brushing as a prep just to knock the loose rust away. However, nobody has been able to figure out how to effectively get it into the interior of the frame sections. Good luck on your project.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:51 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Question re. Frame rust proofing (PureSilver)

What I found most troubling while prepping for POR15 was not the areas
that were rusty. You need to concentrate more on getting the grease and
paint off of the frame. If you're not as picky as me, the POR will stick to the
old paint, but it claims that you do not retain the same rust-proofing qualities -
as the rust can creep under the old paint.

As far as the inside goes, I let it go. I figure (like yourself) that I will never
drive her (purposefully) in the rain, so it will be OK for my lifetime.

:seeya
Old 04-14-2004, 12:07 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Question re. Frame rust proofing (NHvette)

i just brushed down the places on my frame that was rusty and painted them
it went just fine and it looks to be holding up really good.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:43 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

POR-15 is great if you do the prep work. I have found only one thing that takes of POR-15 from a well prepared frame, brake fluid.

To prep you need to do at least the following. Clean of visible chunks of grease, dirt etc (pressure wash works great), soak with degreaser, pressure wash again. Let dry. Sand/wire brush/sandblast the frame until you start seeing some shiny metal. Apply Metal Ready (POR poduct) until frame turns white. This removes the rust. Rinse frame again. Should be dull grey now. Let dry. Paint with POR-15 at least two coats. I did three coats of POR-15 and two coats of the Cahssis Coat. I think the chassis coat looks terrible over the POR-15. The POR-15 looks like powder coat but the chassis coat is runny and did not stick to the POR-15 very well.

The frame interior is another matter. I haven't done mine yet but I intend to pressure wash the inside, air dry it, and then spray it with rustoleum after a week or so by making up a long nozzle on the end of a hose. Haven't done it yet but it will be a messy job. I think that this is a job that should be done prior to painting the external part of the frame as I am concerned that I will ruin the good work I have done on the frame.

Wear gloves, a hat and buy some POR-15 solvent. It takes a week to get POR-15 of you skin.

Good luck.

[Modified by stingry, 1:44 PM 4/14/2004]
Old 04-15-2004, 08:41 AM
noskillz
Racer

Default Re: Question re. Frame rust proofing (stingry)

I used a pump-up bug sprayer to get the inside of the frame. Added a little thinner to some Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primary and stuck the sprayer wand through all the frame holes. Soaked it until primer started to run out the back. Should be OK. It lasted 30 years as is and I don't plan on driving it in the rain either.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:23 AM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

I prefer the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator to the POR 15. You can thin the Eastwood stuff 20% and spray it with a primer gun. I used it on my camper frame last year and then sprayed it with Rustoleum. After a year of sitting outside it looks great. If you are going to do a frame off you could spray the inside of the rail and then flip the frame over to do the "top" side. If you plan on leaving the body on I can't see how you could be 100% sure to cover everything inside. The only other choice would be to drill 1/2" holes along the frame, spray inside, and then weld them back up. That sounds like too much work!

Get notified of new replies

To Question re. Frame rust proofing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question re. Frame rust proofing