C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o2 sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:59 AM
72CoupeORG(smc)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor help

I have recently had an o2 sensor installed (and gauge) it was installed after the collector from the headers. it is a 1 wire sensor and i am wondering if i need to switch to a heated sensor to get a more accurate reading.

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: o2 sensor help (72CoupeORG(smc))

Depends on how far from the collector it is, might try shooting the area around it with a pyrometer to see how hot it gets, think it needs to be about 600* F to work accurately, try it at both idle and immediately after a cruise. But as you mention the best bet would be to buy a 3 wire heated one then you will def get an accurate reading at idle but since you do not have it in the collector you might still get an inccurate reading at idle. I have mine about 12" from the collector so at idle I think it is off.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:54 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: o2 sensor help (Fevre)

I fitted Dynomax ceramic Headers on my 81 & bought some reducers from Summit which have the O2 sensor fittings in. The computer hasn't complained about it & it runs well. I bought one of those A/F guages that hook up to the sensor last Autumn but, er, haven't found any spare time to fit it yet, so can't state for sure if it's OK. Judging by the way it runs I reckon the sensor is happy being in the collector (maybe the ceramic coating is helping to keep it hot?).
:cheers:
Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: o2 sensor help (UKPaul)

I installed a haltech afr unit with a sensor in each pipe and a switch to check each side . The readout is extremely fast reacting , you can see the change in less than one second when you blip the throttle . They are single wire units and take a minute or so to read at start up if you sit and let it idle . But it only takes a few seconds if you start drive the car . They are located about 18 inches down stream . I check the accuracy against the infrared unit in my shop and they are very close . Hope this helps ,,,,,,,,,,,

geo
Old 04-14-2004, 10:19 AM
72CoupeORG(smc)
Racer

Default Re: o2 sensor help (ram82fire)

thanks everyone. very helpful. guess i'm pretty good from reading this

Get notified of new replies

To o2 sensor help

Quick Reply: o2 sensor help