C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM
mooty1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes

complete supension rebuild over the winter.new brake pads and turned rotors .now i have grinding just before i come to a stop.didn't have this problem before i did the work.any ideals? :smash:
Old 04-13-2004, 08:28 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: brakes (mooty1)

You didn't say from what end. If it's the rear, I'd suspect bearings. Do the test.

If it's the front, again, bearings are a possibility. The best way to find out, front or rear, is to pull the offending wheel, and rotate it by hand. Take a close "look see."

It might be an easy fix. You may actually see some interferance that's causing the noise. I'm thinking brake shield. If it's bent, it'll come in contact with the rotor and cause a similar sound to what you're describing.

I'd also check rotor runout. Why did you turn them, in the first place? Were they warped? Brake shops love to turn rotors, because the sell rotors. More turning causes more wear. They can charge you for the turning and next time, they'll get you for the rotor itself.

At any rate, get in there and check the noise out.

Quick Reply: brakes