C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VBP GRAND TOURING SUSPENSION SYSTEM ANY GOOD?

Old 04-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Cruz 86
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VBP GRAND TOURING SUSPENSION SYSTEM ANY GOOD?

Vette Brakes & Products have a grand touring suspension system. KYB GR2 shocks, New Larger Sway Bars, 460 lb. front coils and optional 330 lb. composite rear spring. I'm presently redoing my small block driver suspension . Anybody using their setup? How is it?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: VBP GRAND TOURING SUSPENSION SYSTEM ANY GOOD? (Cruz 86)

I have it on my car. I like it a lot. Nice comprimise between the soft stck suspension and the hard F41 setup. Mine rides very nice and handles well.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:07 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I what have, even though they didn't call it a "Touring Suspension". My vette stays nice and flat in the corners. The ride is stiffer, but I am comparing it to the orig. 30 year old suspension.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:03 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: VBP GRAND TOURING SUSPENSION SYSTEM ANY GOOD? (Gordonm)

Did the kit come with some type of aluminum spacer that fits in the lower control arm pocket? The previous owner of my new to me '73 installed the VBP grand touring suspension kit. Today while under the car and checking out closely what I bought, I noticed that both front springs have rub marks where they go into the frame pocket. The spring appear to sit on some type of tapered alum. spacers that fit in the lower control arm. I'm not sure if these spacers are responsible for the spring to not fit in the middle of the upper opening or they are just not seated properly in the upper pocket. Anyway, it looks like I will have to pull out the springs and see what is going on. Bummer. :banghead:
Old 04-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: VBP GRAND TOURING SUSPENSION SYSTEM ANY GOOD? (rponfick)

My 460 springs fit in the stock pockets with no mods. I don't know why there is an aluminum spacer in yours.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:36 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends if your definition of "Touring" matches theirs.
VBs kit is well matched but IMHO, it's a bit stiff for touring. It's very good for aggressive street or low speed autocross use.
For true highway touring, I'd use OE BB springs (around 280lbs), a 315 TRW composite rear spring, a 7/8 front bar and no rear bar along with Koni shocks and 255/60/15 tires. This will be more comfortable for extended trips. Touring also means using OE rubber bushings instead of poly for A arms and control rods.

In either case, be sure to replace ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, rag joint and adjust the steering box.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Cruz 86
Instructor

Default Re: VBP GRAND TOURING SUSPENSION SYSTEM ANY GOOD? (flynhi)

Yeah, Thats my only fear with this set up. Maybe too harsh. I know its a vette and not a caddy but if I have to cruise up the tunpike I don't want to be jarred by every little rut in the road. Want it to feel tight but not harsh. Any other thoughts?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:45 PM
28buick
Instructor

The stiffness of the system is not bad but you may have to upgrade the shocks. The composite springs have quite a bit more rebound than steel springs. Even though the KYB are supposed to be valved for this you will probably still notice a change in the ride with the rear suspension floating more in bumps than with the steel spring.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

For true highway touring, I'd use OE BB springs (around 280lbs), a 315 TRW composite rear spring , a 7/8 front bar and no rear bar along with Koni shocks and 255/60/15 tires.

Don't use the TRW spring unless you want to jack up the back of your car a couple of inches. Use the VBP spring.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:39 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Default Re: VBP GRAND TOURING SUSPENSION SYSTEM ANY GOOD? (Kid Vette)

I've used TRW and VB springs and I prefer the TRW for touring. It seems to be much smoother, not as bouncy as the VB. It does have more arch but this is easily dealt with by using longer spring bolts.
For touring, I suggest the TRW 315 rear spring. This is close to the OE spring on 80-82 Vettes.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Cruz 86
Instructor

I spoke with VBP today and asked about the rear composite spring bounce problem. They told me to upgrade the KYB shocks to Bilstein. Its more money but if thats what it takes, then thats what I'll do. If it works it will be worth it. I try to get things right the first time but often thats easier said than done. VBP also lists a 300 lb. spring. Anyone running this one. Too soft?
Old 04-16-2004, 09:36 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

VBs 300 with Bilstein Sport shocks should be a very smooth combo. Tires will also have a big impact. Run 255/60/15s at about 28 lbs air pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To VBP GRAND TOURING SUSPENSION SYSTEM ANY GOOD?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VBP GRAND TOURING SUSPENSION SYSTEM ANY GOOD?