C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

edelbrock thunder series 650cfm carb

Old 04-13-2004, 01:35 PM
tomservo291
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default edelbrock thunder series 650cfm carb

This seems fairly new, and I can't find too much information about them on vettes online. I saw one person in a post reply mention that they had one installed; I was just wondering if they require any additional mounting hardware (the short unhelpful descriptions do mention it uses stock hardware) ... but does it have all the vacuum ports needed for an '80?

part: EDL-1806
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=EDL%2D1806

furthermore, if you could make a good suggestion for an aftermarket replacement that doesn't require *alot* of modification, and has all the necessary vacuum options I'd love to see them (not holley if possible)

[Modified by tomservo291, 6:39 PM 4/13/2004]
Old 04-13-2004, 01:45 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: edelbrock thunder series 650cfm carb (tomservo291)

Answer these questions first:
Do you have a stock intake manifold?
Does the car still have all its smog stuff?
Are you subject to smog testing?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:50 PM
tomservo291
8th Gear

Default Re: edelbrock thunder series 650cfm carb (page62)

at the moment the car is all stock, but when the carb gets ordered it will be along a new intake (either edelbrock performer or performer RPM) with an l88 hood and 3" filter with k&n hi-flow top.

the car is old enough in taxachusetts that it does not need to pass emissions
Old 04-13-2004, 01:54 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't have any trouble hooking up your vacuum plumbing. And there are always "T" connectors if you need to distribute vacuum from a single source. The fuel line will have to be changed or altered.

[Modified by page62, 12:55 PM 4/13/2004]
Old 04-13-2004, 08:53 PM
neverendingproject
Pro

Default Re: edelbrock thunder series 650cfm carb (page62)

get the 90* banjo fitting with it. your gonna haveta use a drop base air cleaner and will need it.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:19 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have that carb on my engine which yu can see in my sig pic. It's absolutely the best carb I've ever owned. I bolted it on, set the idle and that was it. it's been running great for the past year with no problems whatsoever. If you order one I would order the insulator gasket which Edelbrock recommends because I've heart of heat problems from others that didn't have this. I installed mine using a Summit throttle linkage bracket. The fitting from your Q-jet will fit in the back of the Edelbrock for the Power brake and the vacuum accessories fitting also fits the standard Edelbrock intakes. The front had ported and full vacuum ports and a connection for the PCV and evap cannister. If I remember correctly the connection for the evap cannister was a different size so I used a reducer in the vacuum line from the evap tank. It was no big deal and you'll figure it out when you get it on. One other thing. If you get the insulator gaskets you'll need longer studs for the carb. They don't come with the gasket so you have to order them separate. Good luck because once I installed mine I experienced engine control that was close to fuel injected. I really like mine. If you need more info or would like to see some more pics of the carb at other angles drop me an e-mail.

Get notified of new replies

To edelbrock thunder series 650cfm carb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: edelbrock thunder series 650cfm carb