C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 350 to 700R Tranny Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 12:57 AM
WhyFly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo 350 to 700R Tranny Conversion?

Hi Folks

I've got a chance to pick up this tranny for a pretty good price. Trying to find that combo of nice low end range for quick starts off the lights and a decent overdrive gear for highway cruising. Has anyone done this conversion and if so, will I have to put different gears in the rear end to achieve the desired results?.. How much of a PITA do you think this would be? Any advice is really appreciated..Thanks people.

Be nice to each other... :thumbs: :steering:
Old 04-13-2004, 02:03 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Turbo 350 to 700R Tranny Conversion? (WhyFly)

There is a company called Bow Tie Overdrives that specialize in this conversion. http://www.BowTieOverdrives.com

Check out their web pages, they have a ton of info.

Since you have the tranny, the items you will have to look at and address are the following:
crossmember, TV cable, electrics for the torque converter lockup, driveshaft and speedo calibration.

BTO sells a bolt in crossmember, and their TV made EZ system is the best solution I have seen for that darn cable. There are few ways to do the lockup and a local shop can shorten and balance your driveshaft.

I have a 700R4 in my 1980. I drove it with the 3.08 gears and I really loved it on the interstate. 80 mph at about 2200 rpm. I went to the 3.73 rear gears, and now 80 mph is about 3K rpm. The launches are a little better, but traction is a real pain now. If you have a beefy motor, and with a higher stall converter, you may need to invest in rear tires.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:38 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're thinking of swapping in a 700R4 from a junker, forget it unless you rebuild and beef it up first. These trannies have inherent weaknesses that must be addressed! :smash:
Old 04-13-2004, 10:46 AM
aharte
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 700r4, and I don't like the gear ratios at all. They're meant for a cheap sedan, not a sports car. There's too much spread between gears - especially first and second. You can't reasonably downshift to first once you're moving for example.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo 350 to 700R Tranny Conversion?

Quick Reply: Turbo 350 to 700R Tranny Conversion?