C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy/hard is your power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 06:37 PM
WarBound
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy/hard is your power steering?

Hiyas...just bought my 80 coupe a month ago. Steering seems hard yet I do here a hiss type noise when turning the wheel...with engine off steering is harder. Anyway, with engine on it is still hard...definately cannot 1 finger turn the wheel. The control valve, pump all look prettty rusty and old...yet I hesitate to replace if basically they are working. That's my prob, I have nothing to compare to whether mine is normal or not:(:(:(

Help with comments if you can and thanks in advance!

Old 04-12-2004, 06:43 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: How easy/hard is your power steering? (WarBound)

I wouldn't say it should be "one finger" steering. The hiss is the pump. Check the fluid, but some sound may be normal. If there are no leaks, you might check/change the fluid, but otherwise leave it alone. If you can turn the wheel with the car at a standstill fairly easily you are good. Don't worry, you will get your chance to fix power steering leaks!!! :D
Old 04-12-2004, 06:47 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

I replaced my valve assembly about 1 week ago on the '79. I do get a bit of a hiss when I crank the wheel and this seems normal. The steering is firm but not definitly not hard to turn and for sure not 1 finger steering. C3 power steering is not what you would expect from a newer car, more like 'steering assist'. You could check to make sure the reservoir is topped up. And.. welcome to the forum! :seeya
Old 04-12-2004, 06:49 PM
WarBound
Intermediate

Default Re: How easy/hard is your power steering? (R. Bruno)

Hey thanks..I have no leaks atm (except rear main, steering box and radiator:()

Standing still it is very hard for me to turn the wheel...harder though if the motor is off. I did top off the fluid and noticed that the ps pump looks brand new, nice and shiny...the belt is tight too. The control valve and ram cylinder look old though. Is there such a thing where they are partially working? Like at less force? I have no jerky motion in my steering at all at a stop or while driving, it is just real hard to turn.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:36 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't say it should be "one finger" steering.
If you want to try something, try driving a C3 without power steering, with a small diameter steering wheel. "one finger" is out of the question and "one hand" is border line. Forget it in a parking lot.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:00 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way you'll ever get "one finger" steering is with a Steeroids retrofit. Otherwise, your measure of comparison should be other cars from the '60s (like early Mustangs). The C3's use an early Saginaw power assist system with an outboard power assist cylinder and a manual recirculating-ball steering box. By the '70s, most cars -- except the Corvette -- had started using a power-assist integrated recirculating-ball steering box. Or better yet, more and more cars were using rack & pinion -- which is what the Steeroids system is. Even the new F150 pickup truck uses rack & pinion! :yesnod:
Old 04-12-2004, 10:48 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: How easy/hard is your power steering? (69stingray)

I wouldn't say it should be "one finger" steering.

If you want to try something, try driving a C3 without power steering, with a small diameter steering wheel. "one finger" is out of the question and "one hand" is border line. Forget it in a parking lot.
I'll do you one better. I have a '71 Chevy shortbed K-10 4WD with manual steering. I love it, but it will build your forearms. It does have the 17 inch wheel though so I guess that makes us even. :D :cheers:
Old 04-13-2004, 02:00 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

lol, i was replacing the belts on the car after i threw the alternator belt. I took her for a ride around the block with the ps pump belt off. Never drove a car like that. Definately gave my arms a good workout.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of 4 cars I own that all have power steering, the vette takes the most effort to turn. The high ratio is part of the reason it takes more effort. Consider yourself lucky if you have no leaks. Leave it alone. I replaced my ram and controll valve and it still leaks.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

if you put a fish scale on the rim spoke, and report the actual #, i can give you an answer
Old 04-13-2004, 09:24 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: How easy/hard is your power steering? (lostpatrolman)

lol, i was replacing the belts on the car after i threw the alternator belt. I took her for a ride around the block with the ps pump belt off. Never drove a car like that. Definately gave my arms a good workout.
:iagree: - No P/S on mine!

Get notified of new replies

To How easy/hard is your power steering?

Quick Reply: How easy/hard is your power steering?