C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable power steering pressure valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:37 PM
dsagers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjustable power steering pressure valve

Was at a shop over the weekend and in the waiting room were several magazines for guys who build custom rods.

One advertisement that caught my attention is an ad for Heidt's adjustable power steering pressure valve. I checked out their web site
http://www.heidts.com

and may have found what I need to run both Hydra Boost brakes and the Steeroids R&P.

Says that the valve is designed to bleed off and reduce power steering pressure so you can get the steering feel you want.

[Modified by dsagers, 3:38 PM 4/12/2004]
Old 04-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Speed Direct
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Re: Adjustable power steering pressure valve (dsagers)

In the next few months we plan on testing something like the valve Heidts offers. We have been talking with Hydra Tech to find ways to make our systems work together. Hopefully we will have some information for everyone soon.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:48 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Adjustable power steering pressure valve (dsagers)

That's a great idea. I "lucked" out with my power steering. I'm not sure why, but my rebuilt ps pump isn't quite operating as well as it should. The bad part, is that at low engine speed, the steering is a little heavy and unassisted. But at speed, it feels just right. I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:55 PM
SCCACFC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Adjustable power steering pressure valve (joeveto)

Newer GM trucks have a valve in the pump that adjusts the line pressure ( more @ low speeds, less @ high speeds) It is best to stay away from Hydro-boost if at all possible! Unless you like leaks. :U
Old 04-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Adjustable power steering pressure valve (SCCACFC)

I know that this seems to fly in the face of logic, but ---- your steering feel is the result of the springs and gaps in the control valve --- NOT the amount of pressure that the pump can put out. The on-center feel is also the result of how much flow the pump is putting out.

The GM production valve on the power steering pump (advertised as EVO variable assist steering) actually controls the amount of flow out of the pump and not pressure.

The only time that full pressure comes into play is when you are near full lock turn and the pump needs to go into pressure relief to assist you all the way to the corner. The pump is putting out a set amount of flow, when you attempt to steer, you begin blocking the flow and the pump begins to develop pressure as a result of the added restriction caused by the valve. At the same time, fluid is diverted either left or right to provide power assist. Again, the pump only developes pressure as a function of the restriction.

Pumps that put out large amounts of flow, can cause the gear valving to feel "light" or very responsive. Saginaw pumps can put out between 1.6 gallons per minute and 3.5 gallons per minute at 1200 engine RPMs depending upon the type of pump that is selected. Early C3s were around 2.5 gallons per minute. Later C3s were around 1.8 GPMs (better fuel economy.)

Get notified of new replies

To Adjustable power steering pressure valve

Quick Reply: Adjustable power steering pressure valve