C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Air Conditioning

Old 04-12-2004, 03:03 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Removing Air Conditioning

I just got a '73 454 with AC, and said AC hasn't worked in a while. I was thinking of freeing up some space under the hood by junking the AC. Anybody done this? I have an old non-AC blower motor housing that I could use to fill in the hole in the firewall, but I am not sure it will fit the hole left by removing the large AC blower box. I've seen posts of guys that have entirely filled in the hole in the firewall, but I don't want to go quite that far. Also, I hopefully can remove some of the bulky ductwork under the dash and create a little more foot room. Anybody out there done any of this? Any suggestions.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:43 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Removing Air Conditioning (rponfick)

Hmmm,

I don't have any tech help for you, but I MAY be interested in your leftovers next week. I'm going to look at a '73 454 that has had the AC removed and if I buy it, I'd like to put it back together.

On second thought, if it has been done well, maybe the parts that I will be taking off can help you. (?)

Stay tuned for one week, if possible.

Tom
Old 04-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I just converted my "non-working A/C" '75 coupe into a near factory looking "non A/C" car. The large A/C hole to be filled is not as big as everyone thinks. I got a "non A/C heater box cover" and mounted it after I removed the big A/C evaporator/heater core housing. I then took measurements and made a thin cardboard "template" to fill in the area NOT covered by the "non-A/C" heater box. All you really need is an "L" shaped extension of the "large" hole to be covered. Once I got this cardboard template made, I went to a hardware store, got a piece of heavy sheet metal and cut the piece I needed according to the template I made. To do this "correctly", you need to change your interior side heater box, which you can find used for less that $100. I also got a rebuilt new looking "non-A/C" heater control unit, the correct wiring harness from electric limited for a "non-A/C" '75($47.00)and also bought a nice used wiper switch panel for a non A/C that does'nt have the vents and says " CORVETTE " on it. I've always loved that LOGO inside a Corvette :yesnod: You will have to also get a non-A/C heater core for about another $50, which was the same for '68-'79 NON A/C cars. Yes, I spent over $400 to do this, but I also SOLD all my A/C stuff for $200, so it really only cost me $200 to do this. I've owned this car since '90 and the A/C never worked and it probably would have cost well over $600 or more to get it back into shape, which to me really wasn't worthwhile. I have eight cars and ONLY two have A/C. My wife's :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: The interior is back together now but I have to pull the motor yet and install my other one. This is when I'll put the finishing touches on that "L" shaped piece I made, seal around the edges and paint the area a semi-gloss black and when I'm done it'll take a super keen eye for someone to even detect what I've done. Not only will the engine compartment be cleaned up, but was all that A/C stuff heavy!!! Plus, my car will run alot cooler with no A/C condensor sitting in front of the radiator blocking it :yesnod: The engine compartment has soooooooo much room now I can see the fuel pump and plugs :lolg:
Old 04-13-2004, 08:58 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Not to be offensive, but I'd like to go back in time and find the miserable SOB who yanked the A/C from my car. The least the dirty #$&% could have done, was tuck the parts in the back when he sold it. Arrrrgghhhh.:mad

Putting the A/C back together, scoring the parts, etc. is a nightmare I don't have the energy or desire to confront.

So I guess I'm asking you to reconsider. Do you really need the engine compartment space? Were you going to mount shelves in there? Store clothes? I'd just like to get an idea of your motivation. :confused:
Old 04-14-2004, 12:12 AM
owsi15797
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Paul, I have a '72 coupe that I just pulled the A/C out of and glad I did. Not for the engine space...although that is nice, but more to get ride of the weight of a bunch of stuff I hardly ever use, and reduce the load on the engine.

I guess removing it is a matter of personal choice really unless you want to keep the car stock. I live in the PNW and it just doesn't get that hot for A/C, plus this is MY car for ME, not a car I bought as an investment, museum piece, etc.

I am about half way through with the project. Rebuildling used boxes and ducts while the car is in the shop being repainted. Riveted in a sheet metal plate for the time being...pict's pending return from the paint shop.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:18 AM
jetlag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Removing Air Conditioning (owsi15797)

I have an 81 with A/C, and I am seriously considering removing it. Like what was said before.. this is my car for me. I don't need A/C. That's what the T-Tops and power windows are for ;)

Anyone have an tips to start the removal process?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:32 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

G'day Ralph,
Glad to hear thjat the '73 is getting closer to running order. Down here in the Antipodes, we need the A/C from Spring to Autumn, which it is now. Today was 32C so it's quite warm for the middle of Autumn. In the winter, we use the A/C to defroat the windscreen. It's a bit cold, but better thatn not being able to see!!! Post some photos.

Thanks again for your hospitality to the touring Aussies last year. Regards to you good wife.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 04-14-2004, 09:15 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Removing Air Conditioning (joeveto)

Not to be offensive, but I'd like to go back in time and find the miserable SOB who yanked the A/C from my car. The least the dirty #$&% could have done, was tuck the parts in the back when he sold it. Arrrrgghhhh.:mad ... I'd just like to get an idea of your motivation. :confused:
The movitivation is probably to lighten the car for performance, to clean up the engine bay, or just to simplify the function and operation of the car. I would like to get an idea of what was your motivation for buying a car with a trashed a/c? You could have also bought a car with a fully functional a/c. That's your responsiblity, not the sellers. If you noticed the a/c was trashed prior to purchase you should have adjusted the price accordingly.
I'm all for taking the a/c out if you don't need it. Do what you want - it's your car! I took out the compressor and condensor out of mine, still has the factory heater box. Most of us here are about modifiying our car, making it lighter for performance, and use it as a weekend toy and not a day to day car, etc. That being said - If you take out your a/c it's not a bad idea to take it out right (without ripping it up) and saving all your a/c parts (or selling it) just in case you resell it and want to add value to it. I know must of us plan to have the vette until they die, and then be buried in it, but just in case...
Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Removing Air Conditioning (aussiejohn)

I guess it's just a matter of choice. Here in Ohio where I live, it's the second "most cloudiest" place to live in the U.S.(wonder how they came up with that one?). I've had my other C3s without A/C since '89 and I somehow survived "without A/C" in those cars, I'm fairly certain I can do it in my '75 :lolg:
Old 04-14-2004, 09:51 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

I yanked out everything including heat :smash: air box, fan, interior ducting etc. I am going to fill the whole and mount my MSD box there. The motivation for me is that I swaped from a SB to a BB and the price of fixing the A\C and getting the parts needed for bolting to the BB were just way to much to make it worth it. I figure with what I have removed I have more than equalized the weight difference added by going BB since I am running aluminum heads water pump radiator etc. I want to do some vintage SCCA type racing with my car so nose weight is a big priority for me. My car is a vert so I would never have used the a\c anyway and the amount of heat generated by the engine and trannie should make it bareable for the rare occasions that I take it out in the winter. The only real issue I can see is the lack of a defroster.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:51 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Re: Removing Air Conditioning (joeveto)

Joeveto: Thanks for you comments. My reasoning is that the car is never going to be NCRS, and I have had bad experiences/expenses with trying to revive old non-functioning units in the past. Here in Colorado, they are really not necessary unless you use the car as a daily driver. Others have pointed out their reasoning: lessen weight, space gains, ease of maintenance, etc. At least we have had a lively discussion on the subject. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Air Conditioning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Air Conditioning